Having my doubts about air purifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
While cleaning my living room recently I was amazed at the amount of dust/pet hair I stirred up. We vacuum weekly but guess we continually generate a lot of airborne particles. To combat it I bought a Consumer Reports highly rated air purifier (non-ozone). The one I bought is a Kenmore Progressive 335 and is rated for a 20x25 room. My room is 14x21.

This is my stove room so I run a ceiling fan (on low) and a small box fan blowing cold air into the room. I'm doubtful this purifier will be able to maintain an air flow pattern to draw in all the dust with these other fans running, yet I need them to run to maximize my heat distribution. Also, this fan directs the output air upwards, possibly working against my ceiling fan flow.

I'm thinking of putting the purifier on a timer and only run it when I am at work during the day (the fan noise is annoying). Anybody do this and feel you still get adequate results? I normally do not run my stove or fans during this time so this is the best opportunity for the purifier to run unopposed.

The OL had a couple smaller one running when I was smoking in the house. IMO, useless. I just breathe the dirty air, hell with it.
They take whats out of the air I suppose. But they ain't going to pick it up off the floor, walls, etc.

It's costly, but one of those robotic vaccum cleaners does a decent job on pet hair. I don't have one, but I know 3 people that do, and they are very pleased. Of course, this only does the floors, but it does pick up a lot of lint and animal hair.

Ionizers are designed to make dust fall....I think that is what they do. So only one combined with a hepa air filter will actually capture the dust.

Mine has a prefilter and a HEPA filter. I've been entertaining myself this morning watching dust flow patterns in the house (sad, I know). You can see the dust really well in the sunbeams coming through the windows, and I can watch a big dust flake or cat hair float towards the unit and get sucked in sometimes. A lot is flowing right past it though. Looks like it needs to pass within 3 inches to get sucked into the prefilter.

For $250 it really needs to work great and not annoy me. I'll give it a week or two. Perhaps I just need to vacuum twice a week.

wahoowad said:
Mine has a prefilter and a HEPA filter. I've been entertaining myself this morning watching dust flow patterns in the house (sad, I know). You can see the dust really well in the sunbeams coming through the windows, and I can watch a big dust flake or cat hair float towards the unit and get sucked in sometimes. A lot is flowing right past it though. Looks like it needs to pass within 3 inches to get sucked into the prefilter.

For $250 it really needs to work great and not annoy me. I'll give it a week or two. Perhaps I just need to vacuum twice a week.

Watching the dust bunny flow LMAO.
Your better off letting the vaccum nozzle stick into the air and let it run LOL. Prolly suck more up.

I don't have any real expensive one, but a cheaper HEPA model. I have no idea how well it really works, but I have the timer set to just run on high when I'm at work. I clean out the filter every few weeks, and it does catch some stuff, for sure. I figure it's better than nothing at all - but not that I've noticed any difference in dust, etc in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.