HD SOLD OUT!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
vinny11950 said:
I think it was Metro where I bought Infernos last year when I ran out of everything else. Worst pellet I have used so far. Stay away.

I bought 3.5 tons from woodpellets.com. Cleanfires and Andes pellets. Good heat and good price, but this was in the spring. Still, they have worked for me, and I think everything included it was a good price per bag if you average it out. Can't remember exactly, but for Long Island it was good quality for a decent price.

Thanks Vinny. Did you get the Cleanfire Soft or Hardwood?

It was Hardwood and then Andes softwood from Chile, which they don't have now. Don't know about the Cleanfire softwoods.

Do you have a place to store them?

First time moving a couple of tons was a groan. A learning experience to say the least.

oldmountvernon said:
If you order from woodpellets.com before 11/18 it says you get a free turkey !!! lol

What's the ash and burn value on a turkey?

Was at the Home Depot in Greenfield, Ma yesterday.
There are 20 pallets of Wood Fibers, Inc for $197 a ton.

Ace Hardware has Maine Wood Pellets for $5.17 per bag; $40.00 del. charge. Must buy a pallet.
Has any one bought from them before?

libirm said:
Ace Hardware has Maine Wood Pellets for $5.17 per bag; $40.00 del. charge. Must buy a pallet.

Soft or Hardwood? Which Ace? The one in Centereach doesnt have any pellets..

kykel said:
I would go with the premium. i dont know if the super premium is worth the extra money. I just looked at a test chart for pellets and inferno was at the bottom at 185 degrees. Not worth the money IMHO.

Interesting! Where is there posted (or published) a test chart for pellets?
I know for a neophyte like me, that would be extremely helpful for when I go shopping for pellets!
Where can I find a test chart?
I know I would be VERY intribgued to know the BTU value of pellets, especially the "Nation's Choice" I got stuck with at TSC!

LRRifleman said:
kykel said:
I would go with the premium. i dont know if the super premium is worth the extra money. I just looked at a test chart for pellets and inferno was at the bottom at 185 degrees. Not worth the money IMHO.

Interesting! Where is there posted (or published) a test chart for pellets?
I know for a neophyte like me, that would be extremely helpful for when I go shopping for pellets!
Where can I find a test chart?
I know I would be VERY intribgued to know the BTU value of pellets, especially the "Nation's Choice" I got stuck with at TSC!
Look at the top of the main page….the first yellow “sticky†has links for Jay Takeman’s pellet testing.

libirm said:
cuznvin said:
libirm said:

Soft or Hardwood? Which Ace? The one in Centereach doesnt have any pellets..
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/product-search.html?Itemid=0&keyword=wood+pellets

Thanks! I dont see any Maine ones though. The Maeder seems like a good deal at 4.50 a bag..The Rocky Mountain have a high ash content...

WOW..Rocky Mountains...Don't here about them very often anymore on the East Coast. I actually liked the pellet and it burned great for me. Not a terrible price with shipping. With oil in the $4.10-$4.79 range here on Long Island I wouldn't hesitate on the Rocky Mountains.

An under 3% ash content is good? Most I have been looking at are under 1%

cuznvin said:

A lot of stoves can burn them just need to do more cleaning.

Some can't, they are restricted to premium or better.

Your new unit should be able to handle them easily.

I've burned dirt in a bag before, it isn't always pretty.

SmokeyTheBear said:
cuznvin said:

:) So, Im sure this has been asked before. Is it worth buying a cheaper pellet with a high ash content as long as your stove can burn it? Or am I sacrificing heat output, clinkers and more time cleaning? I am VERY new to all this and just want to do the right thing..

cuznvin said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
cuznvin said:

:) So, Im sure this has been asked before. Is it worth buying a cheaper pellet with a high ash content as long as your stove can burn it? Or am I sacrificing heat output, clinkers and more time cleaning? I am VERY new to all this and just want to do the right thing..

Some say yes and some say no! Its up to the user and the stove doing the burning. Better pellets give cleaner longer burns with less head ache. But during the lean times one can't be as picky with the fuel supply, So you bought a stove that will make your life a bit easier. But trust me, Try to get a pellet that burns as clean as possible and produces high heat in your price range!

We are heading for a speed bump due to fiber and other related issues that will raise pellet prices and make certain brands tough to get. Know what you have around you and Hoard what seems decent. Practice burning the lesser brands in the shoulder season and save the goodies for the cold. Like pinching pennies you might also need to pinch the pellets for a bit.

j-takeman said:
cuznvin said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
cuznvin said:

Some say yes and some say no! Its up to the user and the stove doing the burning. Better pellets give cleaner longer burns with less head ache. But during the lean times one can't be as picky with the fuel supply, So you bought a stove that will make your life a bit easier. But trust me, Try to get a pellet that burns as clean as possible and produces high heat in your price range!

We are heading for a speed bump due to fiber and other related issues that will raise pellet prices and make certain brands tough to get. Know what you have around you and Hoard what seems decent. Practice burning the lesser brands in the shoulder season and save the goodies for the cold. Like pinching pennies you might also need to pinch the pellets for a bit.

Thanks!!

oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

That was some fun hey??? ;-)

I was at a dealer he said he has a customer that burns dog food He says there is some much oil in it that it throws tremendous heat. He also said the stove gets nasty dirty

I found it hard to believe but whatever

We have a member here that burns it, Amazing what these things will burn. Getting to know your multifueler is something I found to be fun.

cuznvin said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
cuznvin said:

Do a bit of research on the effects of ash deposition on heat exchangers then I might be willing to discuss one of the ugly aspects of solid fuel that can make a mockery of the as delivered and dry equivalent BTU figures touted by the pellet makers. Take a real good look at the ash information that Jay has presented both in numbers and pictures.

Burning Infernos is the equivalent of cutting between your toes with a hack saw and pouring Tobasco sauce on them to make them feel better. Basically, what I am trying to say is, its not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.