Healthcare

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One thing people are not contemplating with the current “testing” and the reason so many are so sick and dying. No one is, still for the most part, being tested until they are deathly sick.
One of my coworkers was tested last week, and found positive. He has no symptoms, and reports feeling absolutely fine, despite the positive test. He got tested because he knew he had contact with someone who was showing symptoms.

So, it appears they are testing at least some people who are not deathly sick, although he may be an exceptional case.

@Ashful colleges were far cheaper and one could work through school. Unless you want to stop at a community College folks can't really work through school anymore. There are a finite number of scholarships and grants. Quite frankly the only way to make it work is student loans.
Maybe, but I'd be surprised if it's really changed that much in the last 13 years. I went back to school later in life, and as working thru school until 2007, which really isn't that long ago. It sucks, and it's definitely not easy, but it can be done when it's what needs to be done.
@Ashful, I sure hope the WHO ratings are wrong. This doesn't look good, similar to what has happened elsewhere....Flags won't save anyone at this point
I'm not following you, here. What flags?
Where at in Pennsylvania? According to census data the highest density is 2900 per sq/mi. NYC is 27.000. Nowhere close.
I don't think bholler even meant to compare PA to NY, but the population density averaged across the entire greater metropolis area of Philadelphia (i.e. the "city-county") is over 11,000 per sq.mi., and several times that in some sections of the city. I would not be surprised at all if it's higher than 27,000 per sq.mi. in some parts of the city.
It’s not that at all. See above, I’m tired of hearing about how many people will die... The number of people that die daily from other reasons is ten fold what covid-19 is and all people focus on is that.
The big difference, for me anyway, is the distribution. It may be true that many more die from other causes, but the likelihood of me or my family being affected by this thru no fault or action of our own is high enough to cause serious concern. Aside from that, I know three people who died from this disease last week, and I don't normally know three people that die in a given week, let alone from the same random contraction of a disease.
PS: looks like Dr. Dubravec is an allergist, not a well-known immunologist or policy expert.
Allergy and immunology are inextricably linked: https://www.abai.org/

Here is another skeptic doctor.

He has now apologized for misleading the public and is trying to get the video removed. (Succeeded on YouTube over copyright claim)
“My early comments about equating with influenza were wrong. They were incorrect. I was part of a chorus that was saying that and we were wrong and I want to apologize for that. I wish I got it right but I got it wrong.”

Another graduate of the Hollywood Upstairs College, like the "immunologist" above.

Maybe, but I'd be surprised if it's really changed that much in the last 13 years. I went back to school later in life, and as working thru school until 2007, which really isn't that long ago. It sucks, and it's definitely not easy, but it can be done when it's what needs to be done.

You'd be surprised, it's gone up roughly $8000 since 2007 for tuition/room/board.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus

I'm not following you, here. What flags?

I don't think bholler even meant to compare PA to NY, but the population density averaged across the entire greater metropolis area of Philadelphia (i.e. the "city-county") is over 11,000 per sq.mi., and several times that in some sections of the city. I would not be surprised at all if it's higher than 27,000 per sq.mi. in some parts of the city.

The big difference, for me anyway, is the distribution. It may be true that many more die from other causes, but the likelihood of me or my family being affected by this thru no fault or action of our own is high enough to cause serious concern. Aside from that, I know three people who died from this disease last week, and I don't normally know three people that die in a given week, let alone from the same random contraction of a disease.

Allergy and immunology are inextricably linked: https://www.abai.org/
I have a feeling you were probably making more than most kids right out of high school would be making as well. It just isn't reasonable to think a kid in that situation will make enough to come out of college without substantial student loans.

Reactions: SpaceBus

More proof to me that this is isolated to larger cities more so than the rural areas. That’s a ton of layoffs when you think that just a month ago there were more jobs available than they laid off.
The article says nothing about the layoffs being only in rural areas. It does say it is mainly in fields that would not be involved in treating covid 19 patients. Why would they keep people on that would have nothing to do?

The article says nothing about the layoffs being only in rural areas. It does say it is mainly in fields that would not be involved in treating covid 19 patients. Why would they keep people on that would have nothing to do?
WTF is wrong with you! They keep them on the payroll cause they're part of their family and not related by the way. Do you have workers

WTF is wrong with you! They keep them on the payroll cause they're part of their family and not related by the way. Do you have workers
Yes I have workers and they are being paid. I said nothing about whether what they are doing is the right thing to do or moral etc. Unfortunately that rarely enters into the decision making of large profit based medical corporations.

Another major factor is the fact that having them there needlessly potentially exposes them and everyone they come in contact with. Limiting the number of unnecessary people in and out of hospitals makes sense.

Why would you lay off a Surgical Nurse then scream for people that are retires or have expired licenses to work? Because they don’t need the nurses in a lot of places because outside of a few hotspots this isn’t a big deal right now.

Why would you lay off a Surgical Nurse then scream for people that are retires or have expired licenses to work? Because they don’t need the nurses in a lot of places because outside of a few hotspots this isn’t a big deal right now.
Again dismissing this as no big deal. What is your solution? You seem to know more than anyone else in the country.

Again dismissing this as no big deal. What is your solution? You seem to know more than anyone else in the country.
When you have a problem like a sore on your foot do you cut off the entire leg in surgery or do you go after the problem? Right now we are burying the person as an analogy to what this country is doing with 1/10th of 1% of the population has a viral infection. Even if you look at the deaths, 3/1000th of 1% has died from.

My local hardware store closed today, permanently. He said he can’t survive now. This is what’s happening to this country. We are killing what we are to save a few people from dying to a virus. We will be in the same boat in 6 months doing it this way. And our economy will be nonexistent.

When you have a problem like a sore on your foot do you cut off the entire leg in surgery or do you go after the problem? Right now we are burying the person as an analogy to what this country is doing with 1/10th of 1% of the population has a viral infection. Even if you look at the deaths, 3/1000th of 1% has died from.

My local hardware store closed today, permanently. He said he can’t survive now. This is what’s happening to this country. We are killing what we are to save a few people from dying to a virus. We will be in the same boat in 6 months doing it this way. And our economy will be nonexistent.
So your solution is do nothing untill it gets out of hand. That is a fantastic idea I am sure it will work out really well. And honestly hardware stores and home centers across the country are doing fantastic. If he can't survive with everyone off work and many working on their homes that is on him.

How exactly do you propose we go after the "sore" from your analogy?

Yes, looks like a lot of honey-do projects are happening. Our hardware store is hanging in there, so is the lumber yard.

So your solution is do nothing untill it gets out of hand. That is a fantastic idea I am sure it will work out really well. And honestly hardware stores and home centers across the country are doing fantastic. If he can't survive with everyone off work and many working on their homes that is on him.

They are now closed in our state unless it’s delivery or curbside pickup.

Yes, we need to isolate those at risk and go on. Immunity has to be built for this virus or it will just come right back. As it is in China right now.

Yes, we need to isolate those at risk and go on. Immunity has to be built for this virus or it will just come right back. As it is in China right now.
I think this will eventually start happening, but how soon is unknown. If they allow people back to work and gathering too soon then it will start up all over again. Right now the hospitals are maxed, but coping. As soon as we can get rapid, wide-scale testing in place, some should be able to return to work, especially if testing shows they have developed antibodies to the virus.

Locally our rate is on the decline due to strong social distancing, but they didn't shut down the hardware stores which should be considered essential. Plumbing and electrical repairs still are happening. In our rural area the hardware store is definitely needed.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I think it was begreen who posted a story yesterday of a young couple, where the husband died unexpectedly during the night, while everyone thought he was on the mend from COVID-19. Similarly, a highschool buddy of mine just passed from this a few days back, and left behind a 12-year old kid and wife, he was 46 and otherwise healthy. I see several younger alumni from my highschool turning up dead from this virus, some of whom I knew.

Point is, other than the obvious high-risk elderly population, it is becoming very clear that we don't know who is at risk from this bug. The randomness of young people passing from this virus is very troubling.

And where has that strategy worked before? What studies state that it will work? Is this virus mutating to fast for this strategy to work?

And where has that strategy worked before? What studies state that it will work? Is this virus mutating to fast for this strategy to work?
This virus is mutating very slow, slower than normal, that has been studied. I don’t know if this has ever been done or not but, we are using the Spanish flu pandemic playbook almost page for page and it wasn’t very effective then. Especially when all they did was hold off a second wave that was worse than the first.

98% of the deaths in Indiana are over 60 years old. 70% are over 70. That alone tells me what percentage need quarantined along with those with high risk medical problems. I tested positive for the antibodies today, never had a symptom with it other than what I thought were allergies.

This virus is mutating very slow, slower than normal, that has been studied. I don’t know if this has ever been done or not but, we are using the Spanish flu pandemic playbook almost page for page and it wasn’t very effective then. Especially when all they did was hold off a second wave that was worse than the first.

98% of the deaths in Indiana are over 60 years old. 70% are over 70. That alone tells me what percentage need quarantined along with those with high risk medical problems. I tested positive for the antibodies today, never had a symptom with it other than what I thought were allergies.
So in other words you are just making it up. I am sure the families of all of those who have died will be relieved to hear more people died from other causes than this disease.

How do you get tested for Antibodies? I had some strange illness right before Xmas. 3 Weeks of It.
Ditto, but mine was just a month ago, and I'm still dealing with respiratory issues as an after-effect. I often wonder if I've already had this bug, before it was in-fashion.

So in other words you are just making it up. I am sure the families of all of those who have died will be relieved to hear more people died from other causes than this disease.
Just as the families of 600,000 that die from cancer could probably care less about a few dying from a virus that never impacted them.

it all perspective. The perspective now is we destroy our economy to save a few thousand people that are well within their right to stay quarantined if they choose to. If you don’t feel safe then stay away from the public. It’s a really simple concept. If you feel at risk and they open the country and you go out because your a dumbass that has to have someone to tell you to wipe... that’s on you

Reactions: WinterinWI