hearth back...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squirrely

Feeling the Heat
The wall behind the stove looked bare, so I installed some ceramic tiles to spruce it up a little.

IMG_0570_zpsbbjqfjfx.jpg

IMG_0573_zpsxdxd7xhi.jpg

IMG_0574_zpsu4436g4u.jpg

It took a while as the tiles first needed to be shipped from Mexico to Colorado where the seller is located, and then back to California. They're stuck to the wall with silicone. It was a little tricky making curved inside cuts for the recirculated air outlet, but not being porcelain, the quartered tile was soft enough to be carved out with lateral cuts of a diamond blade.

We really like the serviceability of ceramic tile floors because we're constantly out and in from the garden. (The whole floor is a hearth.) They're waterproof, nearly indestructable, and always look the same no matter how old they get. I did all the floors except a patch of carpet in the bedroom.

The only downside is whatever you drop on the floor is instantly destroyed! ;lol

Greg

Last edited:
Love it! Was wondering what that hole was for.

Love it! Was wondering what that hole was for.

IMG_0532_zpsennwc9tk.jpg

IMG_0568_zpsjm0tlugr.jpg

There's a 21 foot ceiling so I installed a little $13 bath fan up near the top to bring the rising warm air down the inside of the wall in an insulated duct and aimed the opening so it blows over and around the stove. It works better than it looks. I tried a round 4 inch round louvered grill but the fins were angled too much and also restricted the air flow. I might paint the hole black, but I'm not sure whether that'll make it better or worse. (lol)

Greg

Last edited:
looks great not my personal taste but that doesnt matter it fits very well with your house also. I think painting the hole black would help. I also think it would look better with a solid color border around it. Possibly the floor tile. Not being critical just giving my opinion it looks good the way it is to.

Reactions: Squirrely
Have you considered some type of trim around the 4 inch hole. I would be tempted to try some soft copper.

That's an interesting idea, Nate. I'll apply some foil just to see what a bezel might look like. It's standard 3 inch galvanized sheet metal gas water heater vent pipe so there might be something ready made to trim the opening. Right now the interior is the same color as the wall so I'm going to paint it black and if it doesn't look good I can always repaint it. I also thought of lining the interior with matching mosaic tile pieces except they'll cut down the flow which is really effective at circulating the heated air. We've been so totally pleased with the performance of the Morso. The combination of SoCal weather and 8" R25 walls allows us to heat the whole house with a dinky 5kw stove and a few free wood scraps.

Greg

Attachments

• pvs-is3.jpg
    pvs-is3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
If you have a lot of time on your hands, you can also paint the PVC so that it's completely invisible from one viewing angle.

Google "forced perspective drawing" (which is a lot of fun to look at even if you don't want to do the project).

I think I'd need an LCD projector to even try that on a curved surface. :)

Reactions: Ashful
My original thought was some soft copper tubing bend to the right size, but all these suggestions would look cool. If you had the time the perspective paint would be quite the conversation starter.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If you have a lot of time on your hands, you can also paint the PVC so that it's completely invisible from one viewing angle.

Google "forced perspective drawing" (which is a lot of fun to look at even if you don't want to do the project).

I think I'd need an LCD projector to even try that on a curved surface. :)

Forced perspective painting is really cool... but ~way~ beyond my skills. However, I can work a spray can... ;)

Greg

Now, ~that~ would be a conversation starter! nodder.gif

By the way, what kind of sportbike do you ride? I've been a biker for most of my life and enjoy riding a supermoto and a scooter.

Greg

'04 GSXR750
Just sold my 1100xx.
One of the reasons I traded my '02 CBR600F4i for a '09 RMZ450 is because i could always 'tard it if I wanted to. :) In the woods it is like riding a rocket ship.

'04 GSXR750
Just sold my 1100xx.
One of the reasons I traded my '02 CBR600F4i for a '09 RMZ450 is because i could always 'tard it if I wanted to. :) In the woods it is like riding a rocket ship.

Hey, I'm also a Suzuki guy.:)
The 450 is a really powerful bike and would make a screamer of a sm. I'm a total roadie and ride a relatively slow 10 year old drz 400 supermoto. It has 30k happy twisty canyon road miles on it.

Greg

Last edited:
Finished off the tile edges with metal trim and installed a matching metal vent screen...

f3h4NF4.jpg

The screen allows 70% airflow which should still be ok as the fan is usually run on low speed. So turning it up a little higher can get the same flow.

Finished off the tile edges with metal trim and installed a matching metal vent screen...
Looks allot better to me now it just didnt look quite finished before

Style of tile isn't my thing . . . but the changes definitely look much better and give it a professional look.

Jake, the difference in styles can be attributed to each of us living at opposite ends of the country just about as far away from each other as we can physically get.

There is a dominant Spanish/Latin American influence on design, and culture as well, in Southern California. Add to that the climate and natural ecology is also completely different. Almost all the street names where we live are Spanish. You can go into Home Depot, buy what you need, and leave without hearing one word of English except from the employees who are required to speak English if you do. This is not a complaint, but rather a description of how things are here. We enjoy the natural environment, the people, the culture, the food, and the music... and simply went with the flow...

fwCvTof.jpg

We're surrounded by a canyon of Desert Chapparal and Oaks.
(view from bedroom window)

IUHpMRN.jpg

Cape Cod would only look silly out here.
P9eZv3y.gif

Greg

Last edited:
The difference in styles can be attributed to each of us living at opposite ends of the country just about as far away from each other as we can physically get.

There is a dominant Spanish/Latin American influence on design, and culture as well, in Southern California. Add to that the climate and natural ecology is also completely different. Almost all the street names where we live are Spanish. You can go into Home Depot, buy what you need, and leave without hearing one word of English except from the employees who are required to speak English if you do. This is not a complaint, but rather a description of how things are here. We enjoy the natural environment, the culture, the food, and the music... and simply went with the flow with a Spanish style house...

View attachment 198591

It fits the surroundings which are a canyon of Desert Chapparal and Oaks.
(view from bedroom window)

View attachment 198590

Cape Cod would only look silly out here.
P9eZv3y.gif

Greg
Yeah that is why i said earlier it is not my taste but it fits well and looks good. And better now

The wall behind the stove looked bare, so I installed some ceramic tiles to spruce it up a little.

View attachment 198236

View attachment 198237

View attachment 198238

It took a while as the tiles first needed to be shipped from Mexico to Colorado where the seller is located, and then back to California. They're stuck to the wall with silicone. It was a little tricky making curved inside cuts for the recirculated air outlet, but not being porcelain, the quartered tile was soft enough to be carved out with lateral cuts of a diamond blade.

We really like the serviceability of ceramic tile floors because we're constantly out and in from the garden. (The whole floor is a hearth.) They're waterproof, nearly indestructable, and always look the same no matter how old they get. I did all the floors except a patch of carpet in the bedroom.

The only downside is whatever you drop on the floor is instantly destroyed! ;lol

Greg

That is a good looking rear vented stove you have. What is the model of it?