Hearth Beautification Project (Stove in front of Fireplace)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jalmondale

Dec 16, 2021
NY
Thought this might be interesting to anyone else putting a stove in front of an existing fireplace (since I had a hard time finding photos of a similar setup when I was planning this). The raised hearth wasn't quite big enough for a stove, so I built out a new hearth pad, but that left a kind of sad depressing dark cave in the middle of the wall. I just finished the tin tile cover for it - hopefully I left enough access for cleaning, but if not, the whole shebang is actually removable.

DSC_3270 (2).JPG 2021-12-14 10.58.19 (2).jpg

This trimmed up nicely. Is it made from tin ceiling tiles?

Yup, it's tin ceiling tiles over a sheet metal and closet rail frame. In hindsight I probably didn't need the sheet metal, but it doesn't hurt and might make it a bit more rigid (this got redesigned a few times in the middle of putting it together - the whole 'only non-combustibles' thing was a challenge). The sheet metal is bolted to the closet rails, with angle brackets at the top and bottom, and screws set in the top brackets to let it sort of clip on to the brick. Then the tiles are riveted on to the sheet metal with some color-matched rivets.

I agree. Very nice looking installation. Love the tin!!

Nope, it's been drafting well - it goes back about 20" and then up 25' (two story chimney). My guess is the height balances the horizontal run - I've been pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to run the stove.

Reactions: velvetfoot