hearth build--quick question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prof

Minister of Fire
Oct 18, 2011
Western PA
So I am planning a hearth build for the stove in my basement. It occurred to me that a 4ft by 4ft concrete hearth faced with stone with a stove could approach 2 tons. I know the strength of the concrete far exceeds this weight, but I thought I'd do a quick post to make sure I am not missing anything? The basement floor is a 4+ inch slab, no reinforcement. The house was built 3 yrs ago, and there have been no cracks in the floor--which I take to be some evidence that the builder did things right and compacted the stone well and didn't do anything funky with the pour. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Are you going to pour an additional concrete hearth?