Hearth.com slang and term "dictionary" - add your suggestions here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about "punky"? That term is used a bit around here...I am guessing it means rotted or moldy wood?

Blue2ndaries said:
What about "punky"? That term is used a bit around here...I am guessing it means rotted or moldy wood?

Correct. Especially the outer layers of the wood.

Cord - Plural for cord, a unit of measure.
Cords - Pieces of string (however long (sometimes used to measure))

LLigetfa said:

Yes!

snapdisk: What happens when you process your own wood.

ablution blocks = when water drips out of your expensive stove on it's first burn, you know that the stove dealer got to laughing so hard at what people will pay for a metal box that he had to relieve himself on it.

Burn time? Can we establish what we term that as? Not the inflated numbers real world....coals to relight? Heat output?

Stump_Branch said:
Burn time? Can we establish what we term that as? Not the inflated numbers real world....coals to relight? Heat output?
Good luck with that one. :)

Stack Robber - aka Magic Heat, Pook's Revenge, creosote machine.

BrotherBart said:
LLigetfa said:

Yes!
Not in my dictionary, Dude.

Stump_Branch said:
It is the time between when the stove is filled and a match needs to be struck with no wood added in between.

cord: 128 cf of wood
cord: one third of the above

Easily my favorite term that I have learned on these forums:
Nuclear - When fire box has achieved runaway combustion levels commonly resulting in glowing red components and an inability to reduce the level of blaze by standard means.

Also I think it would be worth defining:
Overnight Burn - Having enough coals the following morning to ignite splits added to the firebox.

pdxdave said:
Easily my favorite term that I have learned on these forums:
Nuclear - When fire box has achieved runaway combustion levels commonly resulting in glowing red components and an inability to reduce the level of blaze by standard means.

Also I think it would be worth defining:
Overnight Burn - Having enough coals the following morning to ignite splits added to the firebox.
I like that nuclear term too, Dave!

Dictionary cord; 128 cubic feet of split firewood.

Cord

Cord.jpg

Cord

E-Cord_04-4ff304ff359634006b46c56dc2a7623e.jpg

snowleopard said:
cord: 128 cf of wood
cord: one third of the above

rick or face cord = one third of the above - no?

Also should add:

seasoned wood (from dealer) - split about a month ago.
seasoned wood (stove manual definition) - split wood that will read ~15-20% moisture content on freshly exposed, resplit face of wood.
seasoned wood (Dennis's dictionary) - old enough so that there are 10 or more tree rings on you than the wood.

As my wife used to remind me frequently, a rick is meaningless. Rick

Snag - Tree that's been standing dead for several years,if not a decade or two.Which easily comprises 80% of yours truly's wood stacks.

What about noodling/noodlin'? I think that's when your saw is cutting long slivers of wood that resemble noodles, right? I don't get it all that often when I am cutting, but fun when it happens.

BrotherBart said:
Fool: Name given to Husqvarna saw owners by Stihl saw owners.

Idiot: Name given to Stihl saw owners by Husqvarna saw owners.

Moron: Name given to Poulan saw owners by Stihl and Husqvarna saw owners.

Hey, BB, that hurts.

fossil said:
As my wife used to remind me frequently, a rick is meaningless. Rick

LOL, that strikes a familiar chord.

Status
Not open for further replies.