Hearth Conundrum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mgenova

Feb 4, 2022
Holland landing
PXL_20220204_134108410.jpg

Hello, I am refinishing an old wood stove hearth. This hearth platform is raised about 6inches off the ground with a further 2 inches underneath the unit.
The floor around the platform is plywood on top of framing to level the whole room.
The manual for this states that the platform/hearth can be made with 2cement boards and topped with something non combustible.
Can I demolish the existing platform, continue the existing floor, then go on top with the cement board and top it off? This would give me a total of less than 4 inches off the ground from the bottom of the unit.
I won't be refinishing the brick
Am located in Ontario Canada.

Any ideas or inspiration welcome :)
Thanks!

Explain the current hearth construction in greater detail. What makes up the top 2"? Is it solid stone or a buildup?

Which model VC stove is this? Is is an old Resolute?

Explain the current hearth construction in greater detail. What makes up the top 2"? Is it solid stone or a buildup?

Which model VC stove is this? Is is an old Resolute?
Right now, it's a raised platform that is covered with plywood. It's about 6 inches high. The feet of the stove are only two inches. There is a gap between.

Yes. This is a resolute.

The entire basement floor has been framed and plywood put on top. I guess they did that to level it out and keep the floors warm
PXL_20220204_134057615.jpg
PXL_20220129_202039095.jpg

If those are the clearance requirements I see a couple of options. It appears the hearth platform is wood framed topped with plywood then tile. No guarantee I looked at the correct manual, but one of resolute manuals I read says 2 sheets of asbestos cement board. Not sure how that compares to durock or other cement board for r-value but I would check that out and make sure it's equal or higher. You could tear it down to the floor and do as you mentioned or remove the tile, add the required floor protection and re-tile.

If those are the clearance requirements I see a couple of options. It appears the hearth platform is wood framed topped with plywood then tile. No guarantee I looked at the correct manual, but one of resolute manuals I read says 2 sheets of asbestos cement board. Not sure how that compares to durock or other cement board for r-value but I would check that out and make sure it's equal or higher. You could tear it down to the floor and do as you mentioned or remove the tile, add the required floor protection and re-tile.
Thanks!