Hearth, Dust Pan and Brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
For cleanup, we keep one of those small plastic pan and brush on the hearth. Great for sweeping up wood chips. But for the occasional burning embers, not so good. Today I had the melted plastic brush put black streaks on the stone. And the plastic pan has a lot of burn pits. I guess the solution is a metal pan. But is there a brush material that won't melt?

Any one find one that works better than mine?

Last edited:
For cleanup, we keep one of those small plastic pan and brush on the hearth. Great for sweeping up wood chips. But for the occasional burning embers, not so good. Today I had the melted plastic brush put black streaks on the stone. And the plastic pan has a lot of burn pits. I guess the solution is a metal pan. But is there a brush material that won't melt?

Any one find one that works better than mine?
The brush that came with my set of long-handled fireplace tools can handle embers without any trouble. I don't know if that sort of thing is available in a hand brush but at least it's theoretically possible!

Let me know when you find out. I usually use the long handled fireplace shovel or a short fireplace shovel to sweep up wood debris. The brush that came with my tool set, none other than TSC's finest, is starting to get rough.