Hearth Extension Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RD Swan

Aug 31, 2021
Red Lion, Pa
Our home was built in the 1950s. We would like to have an insert installed (Buck Stove 91) in our wood burning fireplace located in the family room. However, the hearth is only 8 inches and raised approximately 6-8 inches from the floor. We have been advised it should be at least 16 inches. So, we are looking for good ideas to extend the hearth as inexpensively as possible. We are also willing to consider other wood burning inserts with a capacity to heat at least 2500 sq ft or more.

Our home was built in the 1950s. We would like to have an insert installed (Buck Stove 91) in our wood burning fireplace located in the family room. However, the hearth is only 8 inches and raised approximately 6-8 inches from the floor. We have been advised it should be at least 16 inches. So, we are looking for good ideas to extend the hearth as inexpensively as possible. We are also willing to consider other wood burning inserts with a capacity to heat at least 2500 sq ft or more.
Are you wanting to extend the hearth or add floor protection that meets the specs listed in the manual? Floor protection would be cheaper. Consult the manual and it will tell you given the hearth height what kind of floor protection is required (ember only or specific R value).

I bought a hearth extension from Amazon many years ago, it was a fraction of the prices in local stove shops, and looks better than any of their samples! Unfortunately, the only equivalent one I see now is $300+.

TE

Are you wanting to extend the hearth or add floor protection that meets the specs listed in the manual? Floor protection would be cheaper. Consult the manual and it will tell you given the hearth height what kind of floor protection is required (ember only or specific R value).
Thank you I will look into that option