Hearth Extension Suggestions? (Massachusetts)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Riverside_eng

May 25, 2018
Haverhill, MA
So I got a wood burning fireplace insert and thought I was golden on clearances but two issues converged.

1) The distance of door opening from back plane of surround was not clearly called out in diagrams so I inferred it was in plane. (My mistake for not asking I guess)

2) The installer said that he couldn't get it flush on both sides so pulled it out "even". So it is now sitting about 5/8" out. (When I measured a few days ago at top edge there was a line of bricks that was bumping out on that side so likely cause)

So now I have somehow blown through my buffer and I measure 1/2" under the required clearance on the front.

My first step is asking the installer to put it back as far back as it goes (I know he had it flush on the left before so not sure how much it was really out on the right)

However now I think I need to scramble for a way to extend the hearth extension without spending a bunch that I wasn't planning for. So anyone have some solutions that would pass muster in MA?

Attachments

• IMG_20180630_071141488_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180630_071141488_LL.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20180630_071124138_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180630_071124138_LL.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
You could do a contrasting band of dark stone or tile around the perimeter but for 1/2" I wouldn't sweat it too much. The gap would bug me. Is the insert hitting on the face of the fireplace or at the back of the fireplace firebox?

Reactions: Riverside_eng
You could do a contrasting band of dark stone or tile around the perimeter but for 1/2" I wouldn't sweat it too much. The gap would bug me. Is the insert hitting on the face of the fireplace or at the back of the fireplace firebox?

My concern is around that I only seem to have 15.5" from the front of door opening to edge of the hearth extension. So I am somewhat concerned that it would not pass inspection or insurance would throw a fit.

I think it is up against the back on the right side and then he pulled it out on the left to be roughly even. The back is shallower on the right top than it is on the left and much more shallow compared to the bottom.

The back brick can be ground down so that the front fits flush. The installer should have done that.

The back brick can be ground down so that the front fits flush. The installer should have done that.

I will need to talk to them about that. They are coming back for some repointing and the cap. They put the stove in at the end of the second day and they were pretty tired at that point I think.

I will need to talk to them about that. They are coming back for some repointing and the cap. They put the stove in at the end of the second day and they were pretty tired at that point I think.
IMO, many contractors/installers these days are mindful of keeping customers happy due to the ease of customer writing a bad review online. If your installer says your clearance “is fine”, say that is not what the manual calls for, etc, etc. I wish you luck with it. Congrats on the insert!

IMO, many contractors/installers these days are mindful of keeping customers happy due to the ease of customer writing a bad review online. If your installer says your clearance “is fine”, say that is not what the manual calls for, etc, etc. I wish you luck with it. Congrats on the insert!

Yeah, will talk to them and the owner. Honestly they were busting their butts in 90+ degree heat and we're gassed by the time they were putting it in. So I am just going to have them look at it with fresh eyes on how to resolve. I had mentioned it to the owner ahead of time (possible bricks causing an issue on that corner) and he has waved it off as no problem to deal with.

The wife and I are pretty excited about it. Will give a whole new feel to the room visually and with warmth.

Last edited: