Hearth for NC-30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ady5008

Oct 1, 2019
Central PA
I'm planning a hearth for an Englander NC-30. The manual I found online says we need an r-value of 1.5. We're planning on using natural fieldstone on top of Hardi Board on top of whatever we insulate with. Micore seems pretty expensive so I was thinking of just using Rockwool that I have on hand, which would double the r-value requirement with only 1 inch. My question is, how do you support the cement board? Is it acceptable to use metal studs, even though they would conduct heat to the wooden floor underneath? The ceiling is rather low so I'd like to keep the hearth as low as possible, although I think we'll need a ceiling heat shield regardless.

Last edited: