Hearth Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseK123

Jul 21, 2013
Seattle Washington
Hi all,
First post but I have a question. We just bought a Hearthstone wood stove. I am thinking on making a corner hearth with a surround. I am curious if I need to reinforce the floor joist with all the weight of the stove and natural rock. Originally there was a small propane stove with tile on the floor.
Thanks for your help,
Jesse

Corners are generally a "strong" point of a floor. Without more info on the actual build of the structure it would be difficult to give any credible answer. Consider this - a stove and hearth would be about the same as 2 big boys or 3 normal people standing in the same spot. Does this concern you?

Floor jacks are not expensive. Depending on your basement config - maybe it is as simple as adding one if you have concerns??

Status
Not open for further replies.