Hearth Material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FisherFan11

Nov 5, 2017
NH
Wow, there are a ton of opinions on hearth materials on this site and I am utterly confused. Here is my scenario:

Fisher Grandma Bear stove top vent
Through the wall chimney

I was considering a wood frame plywood box on top of my hardwood flooring. My plan was to cover the plywood with micore 300, then 1/2 cement board, and topped with slate tiles.

Does this seem adequate for the grandma bear stove?

Any advice is appreciated!

Yes it does seem adequate, however some stove manufacturers require a certain R-value under the stove. If so, you need to add up the R-value of the materials you are using to see if they meet what the manufacturer requires.

You might also consider using all non-combustible materials. For example, instead of the plywood or dimensional lumber to frame the box, you could choose steel framing material in maybe 20 gauge. This is just something else to think about. I suggest doing plenty of research before constructing your hearth, because the amount of time, materials, and money involved can add up very quickly.

Reactions: Poindexter