Hearth Pad -- Allura backerboard (?) ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SOH

Sep 24, 2015
Michigan
Hi all!

The saga of the hearth pad continues.

Finally found some Micore 300 for my stove, so I'm all set on R-value. My question is this: In lieu of Durock I picked up a product called Allura cement backerboard. The spec sheet states:

"Fire Resistance Characteristics: Allura Fiber Cement Underlayment and Fiber Cement BackerBoard products have a Class A(1) Flame Spread Rating - 0. Smoke developed - 5. per ASTM E84."

The hearth sandwich goes as follows, from subfloor up:
2x4 frame, 3/4 CDX plywood, galvanized coil stock (flashing-gauge), Micore 300 (1/2"), thinset, cement board (1/2"), thinset, porcelain tile.

The million dollar question for me is -- based on the Allura specs, should I use it or another cement board?

Thanks as always,

SH

I looked at their site, and it is rated non-combustible, just like Durock it should work just fine.