Hearth pad trim question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbk2000

Nov 24, 2007
Coastal Maine
This is an image of the hearth pad that I made for my stove. 2 layers of durock on plywood. I know that I have seen some of these trimmed in oak but I'm wondering if it makes a difference if I used soft wood (pine) for the trim. Would that be as safe? I would like to use metal but can't think of a suitable (easy to work with) product. Any suggestions would be helpful.

As long as you are outside of the required hearth space you can use what ever you like ( for example further then 18" from the front of the stove )

I trimmed ours in oak, stained it and coated it with a couple of coats of polyurethane. I re-coat it every year in the spring with the polyurethane becuase we inevitably drop a log or tool on the trim and it scratches the finish. I suspect if it were a soft wood you would risk damaging the wood itself rather than just the finish.

mtcox said:
I trimmed ours in oak, stained it and coated it with a couple of coats of polyurethane. I re-coat it every year in the spring with the polyurethane becuase we inevitably drop a log or tool on the trim and it scratches the finish. I suspect if it were a soft wood you would risk damaging the wood itself rather than just the finsh.

good point

Since you have tiles under the stove, some small tiles around the edge might look nice. A little bit more complicated to install, but no real maintenance issues or worries about flammability. We have lovely bullnose tiles around the edge of our hearth, they match the cobalt blue in many of the tiles on top.

Very nice! I trimmed mine in pine 1x4.(raised hearth) Then painted it flat black, and over that painted it with a product called Stone touch. It's a paint that looks and feels like stone.(textured) We are putting in a Hearthstone Tribute and I am praying that the grey will match the stone in the stove. Anyway, the finished look is very nice. I would post a picture, but it's still in the camera and my wife is the one that does all the work with the camera. (read, I don't know how, it's a technology thing) :red: It is my understanding that as long as you have met the distances for clearance to combustibles, you can trim with anything you like, or are able to work with.

jeffman3 said:
Very nice! I trimmed mine in pine 1x4.(raised hearth) Then painted it flat black, and over that painted it with a product called Stone touch. It's a paint that looks and feels like stone.(textured) We are putting in a Hearthstone Tribute and I am praying that the grey will match the stone in the stove. Anyway, the finished look is very nice. I would post a picture, but it's still in the camera and my wife is the one that does all the work with the camera. (read, I don't know how, it's a technology thing) :red: It is my understanding that as long as you have met the distances for clearance to combustibles, you can trim with anything you like, or are able to work with.

Thanks. I'd be interested in seeing a picture when you can get it posted.

We'll see if I can figure this out.

guess not I'll keep trying

OK I think I have it this time! :-S

:wow: It worked!!!!!!!!!! And it only took me several hours!!!!! This is a work in progress. The rest of the carpet is coming out, and the floors are to be redone next spring. The paint on the trim got scuffed up when I was laying the tile.(yea... painting before I laid the tile wasn't the brightest thing I have ever done. :red: ) Anyway this is the hearth, the stove will be put in Friday, and burning by the New Year! ( we hope! )

Looks like we have similar taste in tile!?

Attachments

• 000_0009sm.JPG
    000_0009sm.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 955
Status
Not open for further replies.