Hearth Pads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

savageburner

Jan 26, 2009
NW BC
I am considering building my own hearth pad. I have ceramic tiles which match the cinder block chimney and want to use them for the hearth. What material should I be looking at to use? Can I use ready mix cement say 1" deep and then apply my tiles? I see in some of the information that mineral board should be used as well. The placement of my wood stove (Dutchwest) will not be a corner or a rectangular installation. I will need to allow for the chimney that runs through the floor. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Does the stove have a manual that gives clearance to combustible requirements? How about a minimum R-value for the floor protection? Are you building over slab or wood floor?

And I may sounds stoopid, but if it's not a corner or a rectangular hearth... then what is it? Maybe posta pic of the proposed location? Good luck!

The manual specifies 1" non combustible hearth pad with K=0.84 BTU/in or R value of at least 1.19. I am placing the stove on a wood floor. The pad will be rectangular with a notch cut out for the chimney 1'x1'. What don't understand is the R values. How do I determine the R value of various materials?

Here are three links to help you get started: http://www.woodstove.com/pages/wood_stove_Install.html and http://www.usg.com/USG_Marketing_Co...uides/DrckCement_Board-Installation_Guide.pdf and http://www.warmfloor.com/english/handbook/STEP_Warmfloor.pdf/0.6._Efficiency/6.2. R-Values for Building Materials.pdf

These links have much info. You are probably going to want to place some Durock (cement board) on top 3/4" plywood. Then use latex modified thinset mortar to set the tile. You will have to scroll to the bottom of the Woodstove page to see instructions on how to construct a hearth. The warmfloor site has the "R" values you will need for your stove' hearth.

I am currently laying out my own hearth and really enjoy the process. I used a plumb bob to determine exactly where the center of the flue pipe is located. Then I used blue painter's tape to outline the stove on the floor. This is necessary to determine clearances from flammables and and will dictate how large the hearth must be to meet code requirements. I will build mine to exceed code requirements so I can place a rack of stove tools, an ash can and a log cradle on the hearth. So, I have blue painter's tape outlining both the stove and the hearth. I just finished this process today and now know exactly where the stove and hearth are placed. The blue tape is removed very easily even after being down for a couple of weeks.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks John

The information you provided is exactly what I am looking for. I am looking forward to getting the new hearth in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.