Hearth protection vs Side clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

akgal

Jul 24, 2022
Alaska
Howdy - so back to clearance issues. My stove manual states you need 4” of side clearance to combustibles with double wall pipe, but also that you need 8” of non-combustible hearth protection on each side of the stove. This seems contradictory. If a wall or cabinet is 4” away on the side, how do you get the 8” of hearth protection? My floors are concrete so maybe a moot point, but what am I not understanding here? Thanks!

I just downloaded the Tim Sistem North manual (not the Hydro) and it lists 6" for the minimum side & rear clearances. As noted in the other thread on this stove, foreign documentation can sometimes be confusing and inconsistent. In this case, it looks like there are random UL or NFPA requirements copy/pasted into the original docs. If so, that may explain the inconsistency. When in doubt, err on the conservative side and make the hearth pad 8" on the side and back. That will keep the insurance company happier.

Thanks! This is for the Hearthstone Deva - clearance at back is 14”. I will say the manual is not like for the Rizzoli and others - the language is much clearer. But I was thinking to do as you suggested and do the 8” on both sides.

OK, my error. I thought you bought the Tim Sistem North.

Reactions: akgal