Hearth Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
As I am thinking about and researching my new insert I have come across the idea of possibly purchasing a hearth stove, instead.

That said, I’m wondering what the sizing range and sizing variance(s) there may be for the stainless steel “T” that connects to the 6 inch liner and then to the hearth stove (rear mount).

My firebox is fairly deep and I would need a good 14-16 inches or so of “T” extension to get the hearth stove out on to the actual hearth and keep it out of the firebox.

Is this doable/are the t-connectors a standard size or can you adjust as needed?

I’m starting to like the idea of a soapstone stove and a large firebox.

Tee connectors are typically 10" in length, there are Snout Adapters that add 4" to the tee snout. The snout adapter is slightly downsized so you will not have to crimp the Tee snout. Then there is the 22" Tee Snout.

What is the H & W of the fireplace opening and at the rear? What is the depth top and bottom?

What is the H & W of the fireplace opening and at the rear? What is the depth top and bottom?

Front width - 37 inches

Front height - 26 1/2 inches

Back width - 31-32 inches (difficult to measure with block off plate and insulation)

Back height - 26 1/2 inches

Front height - 26 1/2 inches

Depth front to back - 26 inches

Last edited:
OK, so the gating factor will be the lintel height. You will need a stove that has a flue exit no higher than 26". That narrows down the field a lot. To answer your question, it sounds like you might need a tee with an 18" snout. This gets trimmed down to the 14 - 16" length required.

OK, so the gating factor will be the lintel height. You will need a stove that has a flue exit no higher than 26". That narrows down the field a lot. To answer your question, it sounds like you might need a tee with an 18" snout. This gets trimmed down to the 14 - 16" length required.

I think the Hearthstone Homestead would work....?

Are you aware of any others? I want to maximize firebox size. The Homestead comes in at 2.0 cu ft. My 1101 insert is 1.7, not enough difference to justify $3k.

Attachments

• 94DD4C76-FAE7-49F1-89EE-7EC56B86A4E0.jpeg
    94DD4C76-FAE7-49F1-89EE-7EC56B86A4E0.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 153
If choosing the Homestead, the 6" legs will work with a 25.5" flue collar top height. That config has much lower hearth insulation value requirement of R=2.5. The 4" legs require R=6!
Have you considered an insert instead? That will get you into the 3+ cu ft size firebox for higher btu output and longer burn time.

If choosing the Homestead, the 6" legs will work with a 25.5" flue collar top height. That config has much lower hearth insulation value requirement of R=2.5. The 4" legs require R=6!
Have you considered an insert instead? That will get you into the 3+ cu ft size firebox for higher btu output and longer burn time.

Yes and insert is my initial plan. Just came across the idea of a hearth stove. I always liked a true wood stove better, but the wife does not like it and wanted an insert. Thought a hearth stove would be a good compromise for unit #2.

However, given the firebox limitations, will likely end up with the PE Summit insert.

Sounds like a plan