Hearth transition?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
BFF818BF-6F45-48CB-96CA-21A09EDF4F05.jpeg this is purely cosmetic, but looking for ideas. Just had new laminate flooring put in stove room. The idea that the contractor had for edging around the hearth extension (in pic) looks bad to me, not to mention not flush to the hearth. I’ve told him to scrap that idea.
Our current idea would to be to keep the idea is wood border around hearth extension, but made flush with hearth extension and then the wood would be stained black. With that idea, any issues with installing the wood with stain that has dried around the heart extension? I think stain is considered combustible or flammable.
Any other ideas for this area would be welcomed, so please throw some at me.

Should have mentioned that with old carpet taken out the new flooring is thinner than the old and hearth extension is now about 3/4 in above wood subfloor.

3/4 is perfect. Tons of flooring transitions are available in that size. You can also do a metal multisurface transition if you want nonflammable.

I would extend the tile now though. You are just going to end up needing to do it later when you melt holes in the vinyl in front of the insert. (Well, I would not be able to get by on 18", anyway.)

3/4 is perfect. Tons of flooring transitions are available in that size. You can also do a metal multisurface transition if you want nonflammable.

I would extend the tile now though. You are just going to end up needing to do it later when you melt holes in the vinyl in front of the insert. (Well, I would not be able to get by on 18", anyway.)
Thanks for the info, would you figure that wood stain on wood trim, once dry, will be safe at for this application?

Thanks for the info, would you figure that wood stain on wood trim, once dry, will be safe at for this application?

At least as safe as vinyl flooring. Make sure both are outside of required clearances.

Compliance with requirements is great, but now imagine a burning log rolling out of the stove and dropping coals as it goes. I found that 18" was not enough room for that sort of thing. 36" seems to be adequate for my winter mishaps.

At least as safe as vinyl flooring. Make sure both are outside of required clearances.

Compliance with requirements is great, but now imagine a burning log rolling out of the stove and dropping coals as it goes. I found that 18" was not enough room for that sort of thing. 36" seems to be adequate for my winter mishaps.
Appreciate the thought on that one. We have a couple inches extra of hearth extension than required, but will be sure to use our hearth rug for use past the hearth extension for the log rolling out idea. And, yes, I realize a hearth rug is does not carry the same protection as hearth extension. Been using the insert for 5 yrs so I’ve seen the different things that can happen with the mishaps you described. Duly noted, and thanks again.

View attachment 231312 this is purely cosmetic, but looking for ideas. Just had new laminate flooring put in stove room. The idea that the contractor had for edging around the hearth extension (in pic) looks bad to me, not to mention not flush to the hearth. I’ve told him to scrap that idea.
Our current idea would to be to keep the idea is wood border around hearth extension, but made flush with hearth extension and then the wood would be stained black. With that idea, any issues with installing the wood with stain that has dried around the heart extension? I think stain is considered combustible or flammable.
Any other ideas for this area would be welcomed, so please throw some at me.
The stain or paint on the trim is not an issue as long as it's far enough out. After all, it's wood and combustible too.