Hearthstone baffle issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Winged Pig

Oct 25, 2013
Southern MD
Hello, I've been lurking for a while but missed any topics posted on this issue, so please excuse me if this has been discussed before. While cleaning the stove I found the baffle on my Heritage has a piece from between the tubes busted out and resting on top of the baffle. I don't know how long it has been like this, but I just did a big cleaning on it and noticed it. I don't know how long it has been like this, but I have not noticed any degradation to the burn. I checked with a local dealer and Hearthstone says that they will not cover the damage as it is user caused. Well, that may be the case, but I don't recall doing anything that would have caused the damage. Still, as I am quite capable of messing things up , so I don't intend to argue that point.

My question is twofold. 1, how important is it for me to replace this item? As I said, I have not noticed any change the way our stove fires, but then I may just not be seeing it. And 2, how hard is it to replace the baffle, and what do I have to do to accomplish this task? The manual is not very helpful.

A side note, when we purchased our house it had a large Timberline stove installed, and we used that as our primary source of heat for about six years. When our heat pump died we changed over to oil and subsequently got rid of the Timberline. It worked great but made our basement living area way too hot to hang out in. It also seemed to go through a lot of wood, so we sold it. After the price of oil shot through the roof, we decided we needed to go back to wood, so we purchased our Hearthstone. We have had our stove for going on five years now and really like it. The soapstone seems to hold heat much longer and it does not get anywhere near as hot as our old stove did. The front glass creates a nice atmosphere too.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. securedownload-7.jpeg

Here is the language from the Hearthstone technical data sheet for the baffle replacement. Unfortunately the pix didn't come thru. This sheet will be packed in the shipping container with the new baffle...

Hearthstone Quality Home Heating Products, Inc.
Technical Data Sheet
Heritage Model 8021 Baffle Replacement Kit
#90-76210
This kit replaces the original baffle, and secures the new one in place on top of the secondary air manifold.
Publish Date: 04/19/2006
MATERIALS REQUIRED: TOOLS REQUIRED:
3120-020: Baffle Board Pliers
5021-066: Baffle Bracket
7000-090: Stainless Steel Wire (cut into two 12" sections)
BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Ensure the fire is out and the stove cool to the touch. The baffle is shipped as shown below with the bracket and wires installed on the baffle board.
Top View of Baffle:
Bracket installed with wires extending down through bracket and baffle board.
Bottom View of Baffle:
Indented lip on front edge of baffle.
The ends of the wires as seen below the baffle board.
Revised: 10/18/2012
Page 1 of 2
PROCEDURE:
1)
Remove the damaged baffle from the firebox. Note: there may be fine ash deposits on top of the baffle. If it is still in place above the secondary air pipes, lift the back end up so that the front edge of the baffle comes down through between the first and second air pipes. Discard the original baffle.
2)
Place the new baffle assembly in the firebox with the stainless steel bracket on the top. Position the indented edge of the baffle down and toward the front of the firebox.
3)
Work the back end of the baffle up between the front and middle secondary air pipes, and then allow it to drop down onto the pipes. The indented lip will rest on the front baffle support when the baffle is properly placed. Ensure the baffle support is seated on the front secondary air tube.
4)
Place each of the wires so that one end is in front and one end is in back of the middle secondary air pipe. Wrap the loose ends of the wires around the center tube, twist the ends together and bend up and out of the way, as shown in the photo below.
The new baffle is installed in the stove. The wires are tied around the middle pipe and the front indented edge is sitting on the baffle support that is resting on the front air pipe.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I will be ordering the kit today.

Reactions: DAKSY
You do not have to take the top of the stove off to replace the baffle board on the heritage. It all comes out through the front door. I've removed mine each year when sweeping the chimney and also bought a new one to replace the old damaged one. They are pretty cheap at about 60$ and very easy to replace with no stove disassembly required.

Yes you need to replace it. The baffle holds down the heat that causes secondary combustion for much higher efficiency and lower emissions. It won't damage the stove to burn without it but you will use much more wood and get much less heat.

Reactions: webby3650
Thanks for the replies. I ordered a new baffle from my dealer today.

Hello, I've been lurking for a while but missed any topics posted on this issue, so please excuse me if this has been discussed before. While cleaning the stove I found the baffle on my Heritage has a piece from between the tubes busted out and resting on top of the baffle. I don't know how long it has been like this, but I just did a big cleaning on it and noticed it. I don't know how long it has been like this, but I have not noticed any degradation to the burn. I checked with a local dealer and Hearthstone says that they will not cover the damage as it is user caused. Well, that may be the case, but I don't recall doing anything that would have caused the damage. Still, as I am quite capable of messing things up , so I don't intend to argue that point.

My question is twofold. 1, how important is it for me to replace this item? As I said, I have not noticed any change the way our stove fires, but then I may just not be seeing it. And 2, how hard is it to replace the baffle, and what do I have to do to accomplish this task? The manual is not very helpful.

A side note, when we purchased our house it had a large Timberline stove installed, and we used that as our primary source of heat for about six years. When our heat pump died we changed over to oil and subsequently got rid of the Timberline. It worked great but made our basement living area way too hot to hang out in. It also seemed to go through a lot of wood, so we sold it. After the price of oil shot through the roof, we decided we needed to go back to wood, so we purchased our Hearthstone. We have had our stove for going on five years now and really like it. The soapstone seems to hold heat much longer and it does not get anywhere near as hot as our old stove did. The front glass creates a nice atmosphere too.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.View attachment 115676

I have a Mansfield stove (Hearthstone soapstone) and just had one heck of a time clearing out fallen ash and debris from the inside top of the stove. I had cleaned the chimney with a brush from the top and still had a blockage but didn't fancy removing the pipe (as another post had suggested) to get at the inside top for a clean.
I managed to move the front steel plate forward a few inches so that I could get my arm above the baffle pipes to clear out the front area with my fingers, and then I found that I could move the baffle plate forward several inches which allowed me to reach up inside the flue pipe to clear out that area. It was a very dirty job and I was amazed how much 'stuff' had accumulated in a few years of use but now it draws like a new stove.
I believe that I could have withdrawn the whole baffle plate if I have tried to, but didn't think it was needed at this time.
Hope that helps anyone else wanting to have a clean-out without removing the chimney pipe.

Saw the reply today. I did replace my baffle with the kit listed above, and it could not have been easier. Replaced from the door without taking anything apart. The fires I had after that were indeed hotter. The kit was a bit expensive and took about two weeks to get, but other than that good to go.

The new Heritage has a stainless steel cross bar in the flue collar that prevents a chimney broom from going past the flue collar. Hearthstone has been making a lot of improvements lately. Its nice to see!

The new Heritage has a stainless steel cross bar in the flue collar that prevents a chimney broom from going past the flue collar. Hearthstone has been making a lot of improvements lately. Its nice to see!

Agreed, Webby. I really like the option for the having the side load door on the left OR the right.

I have a Heritage 8022 for which I need a replacement baffle kit . Is there any difference between the BAFFLE KIT 90-76210 and BAFFLE KIT 90-76220? KIT 90-76210 is available to order directly from hearthstone however, it seems KIT 90-76220 is not.

You do not have to take the top of the stove off to replace the baffle board on the heritage. It all comes out through the front door. I've removed mine each year when sweeping the chimney and also bought a new one to replace the old damaged one. They are pretty cheap at about 60$ and very easy to replace with no stove disassembly required.

Yes you need to replace it. The baffle holds down the heat that causes secondary combustion for much higher efficiency and lower emissions. It won't damage the stove to burn without it but you will use much more wood and get much less heat.

Is this referring to the 8021 model? I need to replace the baffle on my 8022 model heritage and the supplier near me says $110.00, yikes! Although, on line I found three places that were charging more. Any advice? I would feel more comfortable paying $60 which, in my strongly biased opinion, is more like what it is worth :-/

Is this referring to the 8021 model? I need to replace the baffle on my 8022 model heritage and the supplier near me says $110.00, yikes! Although, on line I found three places that were charging more. Any advice? I would feel more comfortable paying $60 which, in my strongly biased opinion, is more like what it is worth :-/

That post was from several years ago. I bought the stove new in 2006 or so.

We have the hearthstone equinox. Of course I damaged my baffle after the first year. Like I stated above it's a pretty easy replacement and you shouldn't have much of a issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk