HearthStone Clydesdale a little too wide - is there hope?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JJNelli

Sep 10, 2018
Hello!

I found a pre-owned Hearthstone Clydesdale wood burning stove for sale. It needs a minimum opening of 32” x 23.5”. My fireplace opening is 30.5” x 24”.

The insert’s width slowly tapers down to 26.5 in the back.

Could I just let it stick out an inch or so out of the fireplace, onto my hearth so that it would fit in my fireplace? I could custom make a metal lip to go around the surround and close up the space between the surround and the fireplace brickwork, right? Would doing this cause any problems?
I know some of the Lopi inserts allow you to install them flush or standing into the room 6”, but not sure if I could do this 1-2” with the Clydesdale.

Does anyone know? Thank you!

Also, I was quoted $3500 to install a wood stove insert and 35’ long 6” chimney liner. I priced the liner online and they are about $800-900, and $1200-1300 for a pre-insulated one (which is what I would like to use). Is it normal for roofing/chimney companies to charge $2000 for labor? There is nothing wrong with my chimney. They want to cut the damper off, but so was hoping to have it tacked up in the open position and a block off plate made and installed. I live in Michigan, 15 miles SE of Detroit. Thanks!

Doesn't sound great, Post a picture of the fireplace.

My fireplace

Attachments

• 57EE461A-4A6D-4881-8D0D-76571940479D.jpeg
    57EE461A-4A6D-4881-8D0D-76571940479D.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 85
Do you know which model Clydesdale this is? The older one 8490 is slightly narrower, at 30 1/16" if the firebox is extended all the way forward into the room. It looks like one would still need to grind off a bit of the masonry at the front of the opening.