Hearthstone Clydesdale Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaise

Jun 4, 2015
Brookeville, MD
Reading these forum discussions has been an unbelievably helpful resource over the last few months while selecting an insert for our fireplace. We ultimately decided on the Clydesdale and had it installed last week by a CSIA-certified company.

One aspect of the installation has been bugging me and I wanted to see if anyone could offer any insight that might calm my nerves. While the guys were installing it, I tried to stay out of their way and just checked in every so often. At one point, I came down and the stove was in place with the surround, but it was in the pulled-out position. I clarified that we'd actually wanted it mounted flush. At first, the guy said that it couldn't fit that way, but relented when I said that we'd been told differently. (That makes it sound like it was contentious somehow, but it wasn't... he just said 'okay' and got started.)

I watched them move it back. From my untrained eye, it looked like they just took off the surround and shoved the stove backwards inch by inch. It clearly took some effort and a crowbar of some sort was involved at one point to get the leverage to move it back into place. Afterwards, they put the surround back on and continued with the installation, including lining the stove with the soapstone and running a very small test fire with newspaper.

Everything looks fine, but I'm concerned that because I asked for the flush installation too late in the process (totally my fault there, both for not mentioning it sooner and for not just staying in the room the whole time) it might have messed up the alignment of the stove with the metal shroud somehow when they pushed it back. I hope I'm just being paranoid. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or what I might be able to look at to reassure myself that everything is lined up properly? Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

It unlikely that there is any issue. With the flexible liner you can move it back and forth a few inches with no problem.
The Clydesdale surround is designed so the projection is adjustable. So it can have several inches of projection onto the hearth or nearly flush like you wanted. Is it set so that the stove is back as far as possible? The panel just lifts off, it nests on some steel lobes. It's cast iron, so it's heavy, but you could lift it off and see how the connection looks behind the panel. If it's enamel I wouldn't mess with it though, it's very difficult to mount without chipping the panels.

How about a few pics.....

Yep - here are some photos. Not plugged in yet, as it will be a long time before it's cold enough to start making fires. Webby3650, thanks for the reassurance that it's probably fine.
Clydesdale 1.JPG Clydesdale 2.JPG Clydesdale 3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good! I would not worry about it. That's a great insert, I've installed and cleaned several of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.