Hearthstone Clydesdale Issue Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy

Apr 5, 2007
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Clydesdale. The seal (feels like wool) that goes around the opening for the door to create a seal has completely fallen off after one use. I am baffled as to what may have caused it. Has anyone ever had similiar issue? Any guess on what may have caused it?

I followed manual and slowly broke in the stove, small fires etc... for several hours... I ran it for about 10 hours in total on day one and after 4 hours of "breaking in", I got it to 400 degrees. At some point it did get as high as 700 when I was looking but that was only for a short time and then I would damp it down.

Did I over heat it... please help, this is very frustrating.

Thanks everyone for your help

Sounds like the factory might have not glued that gasket on appropriately. I'd contact your dealer and ask about him coming out to fix or him providing you with a tube of gasket cement to reattach yourself so long as it is not damaged.

700 is higher than you should see on a break in, but that certainly didn't cause your gasket issue. If anything, the gasket issue might have caused you to hit a high temp so easily.

Hitting 700, even on a new stove, should not hurt a thing. If it did, then there is a problem with the stove.

pen

Common problem, my guess is the curing paint gets sticky on the first couple of fires and when you open the door, it pulls loose. I have seen it quite a few times across many brands. Just glue it back, I should not happen again.

Reactions: webby3650
Common problem, my guess is the curing paint gets sticky on the first couple of fires and when you open the door, it pulls loose. I have seen it quite a few times across many brands. Just glue it back, I should not happen again.
That's exactly right! I had to go back on a new Clydesdale recently. As the gasket cement cures, it oozes a little, causing the gasket to stick to the door.
Some stove manuals say to leave the door ajar for the first fire to prevent this from happening. Just glue it back on.

You've done nothing wrong. It can happen and must be fixed.

The door gasket is critical to the stove operation. It will need to be glued back in place. Have your dealer come out and fix it. Let the glue dry for a day before using.

Thanks !!

Good to know that I didnt damage anything. And actually i didnt get past 600, i was wrong, wife corrected me.

You don't need a dealer to come out to fix something this simple, all you do is squirt the glue in the crack and press it in place! So simple a kid plus do it. Just have them send you the glue.

For what you paid for that puppy, let the dealer come and fix it.

Reactions: pen
You don't need a dealer to come out to fix something this simple, all you do is squirt the glue in the crack and press it in place! So simple a kid plus do it. Just have them send you the glue.
It is simple, but give them the opportunity to make it right. Unless you installed it yourself, then I think you should go ahead and take care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.