HEARTHSTONE DEVA 100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookstove newby

Jul 23, 2022
NJ
Hi all, I am going to get my first woodstove cooktop. It will probably be the DEVA 100. I am interested in getting information and reviews from owners of this stove if possible? TIA....😊

That's a beauty with a nice big oven. I haven't cooked on one but would love to. There are several threads on this cook stove. Click on the little magnifier (search) icon at the upper right. Search in this forum for Deva 100, titles only and you will get several threads. Here is one to start you off.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Hi all, I am going to get my first woodstove cooktop. It will probably be the DEVA 100. I am interested in getting information and reviews from owners of this stove if possible? TIA....😊
UPDATE: I decided not to go with Hearthstone, the reviews on this company on their Facebook page are very bad. Too bad, I really liked the Deva 1 00.

That's too bad. Sometimes this can be the dealership. Unfortunately, people tend to post a lot more when they have problems than when they are happy with a product.

I have a Tim System North that works very well. At the time I bought it they were offering a Eurokera glass cooktop, but not sure if they are doing it anymore. Either way, it forces a rear vent, but something to consider.

I second Begreen and there are very few forum threads about cookstoves and most of them are unfortunately negative. Most happy cookstove owners probably aren't very active on social media, and unless I'm on this forum I kind of forget ours is anything special.

The folks at Obidiahs are knowledgeable and helpful with info on cookstoves. They sell many varieties including the Deva. Maybe give them a call?

I bought my stove from Obadiah's and had a good experience.

UPDATE 022123

Wanted to share that I finally ordered my DEVA 100 and it will be here early April. I am happy also bc there is basically only one dealer by me that installs, everyone else orders but you have to pick it up and install yourself!

A few other models I like but the size was wrong and some imports were on hold.

I have been waiting and researching for a few years now and it came down to the DEVA and the Fireview.

The Fireview will not be available for six months so that was the deciding factor. I like them both.

Just wanted to share with like minds bc my F & F don't get why I want a wood stove. Can anyone relate to that?

Great! Keep us posted.

Yes, back to square one now.
UPDATE: I ordered the DEVA from a local woodstove/fireplace company but the owner didn't follow through, he forgot about it so I cancelled.

Then I went to another company and the owner, for some reason, was reluctant to work with me, he kept saying that it's a stove. He was cleary trying to sell me something else. But he sent over the installer to my home to check out where it would go. The owner finally called me days later and said he would send me the quote and tried to suggest a wood stove instead. I said I wanted the DEVA. I don't know what the issue is with the DEVA but the owner never sent me the quote so I emailed him again for it and still nothing.

The DEVA claims it heats up 1500 SF but this installer said it will only heat up half that amount, about 700 SF. He told me that the stove will heat up a room but it depends on the climate in that region. So, the DEVA would only have heated up my living room and dining room, I still would have needed another source of heat. I have decided not to pursue wood stoves and go with an electric fireplace/heater and have a kerosene heater for backup.

I just wanted to post this info for anyone who is interested in a DEVA. I don't know if the problem is in my area or something is going on with the DEVA.

I think they were leery because you were expecting to heat your home with a cookstove. We use our cookstove for supplemental heating. The real heavy lifting is done by our freestanding stove

But, I never told them i wanted to heat my home. Anyway, why would anyone care, esp a dealer. Another one of life's mysteries, if something is that hard then I figure it's just not meant to be.

But, I never told them i wanted to heat my home. Anyway, why would anyone care, esp a dealer. Another one of life's mysteries, if something is that hard then I figure it's just not meant to be.
If you are still interested Obadiah's would ship it to you

No, I have called and either they don't return the call or they don't install or reviews are bad. I have spent a few years of research on this now so I think it's time to start on something else.

I'm not, and I cannot install a chimney. You need a permit from the township also..... and my insurance agent told me to be very careful and make sure the installer is licensed and a professional.

Sounds like you have exhausted all available options. The electric fireplace will be a much easier install. As an alternative that will work in a power outage, consider a vented propane or NG fireplace or stove. There are good models that will work without power and the installation is easier.

If you tried calling sweeps over the winter and they didn't get back to you I would try again now, they are a lot less busy for the next few months. The only sweeps not busy for the fall/winter are the ones you don't want!

Honestly, I decided to use that money to upgrade other areas of my house now. I am just very tired of wasting this much time on something that bore no fruit.

Sounds like you have exhausted all available options. The electric fireplace will be a much easier install. You might consider a vented propane or NG fireplace or stove. There are good models that will work without power and the installation is easier.
I don't know anything about a vented propane fireplace. Does that mean I have to keep on adding propane to light up the FP? The thing is I can't find an installer to put in a flue anyway. I used to have, in another house, a natl gas FP which worked without power.

It would be connected to an outdoor tank that supplies the fuel. The tank gets refilled by the propane company. They don't need a chimney like a woodstove. Many just vent right out the wall. Inquire at the local stove shops or propane suppliers. They are cleaner than a kerosene stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.