Hearthstone Equinox, Could you guys look at my floor plan.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I guess you mean in respect to passing the EPA requirements, which entail burning at four different rates, low to high; I'm pretty sure I've read of BK owners being able to blow smoke past the combustor when they open up the air, just as I am able to on my Woodstock straight cats, regardless of engineering, cells per inch, etc. I've also seen you mention "residence" of the smoke in the combustor several times. Now, I haven't experimented extensively with this, as I can usually get the heat I need with the air pretty low. It's just that I have seen that a few times when I have some flame in the box and happened to go outside, there can be some smoke getting by the cat.
Oh, man, we gotta stay under 1200 now?? Not what I wanted to hear...a guy can only do so much! :rolleyes: It's a bit easier to visually determine if a cat is above 1600, than it would be to tell if it was over 1200. I suppose it's a matter of degrees (heh-heh, funny.) ;hm Just have to do the best I can.
I guess you are talking mainly about when it gets colder outside over the course of the burn but it sounds like there's a lot more to it, when you say it. ;) I'm assuming atmospheric pressure isn't a big deal in most locales but I don't know...
I don't suppose you are in a position to elaborate right now....:( I guess the key word here is "might." ==c

There are dozens of woodstoves on the market in the interior of AK. There is even one guy that buys and resells WSS stoves. When it goes to -60 and your house is +70, the differential creates a stack effect. If you have a wood stove engineered with a manual air control (damper), cat or non cat, the stove has a low stop engineered to prevent the user from burning lower than it was tested.

Now, with the air opening having a specified volume of air passing through it in a test lab, the amount of cfm of air in the above scenario increases substantially. That will cause the stove to over fire. In 99% of the case, damages will result to any essential element for clean combustion.

If your cat gets to 1600F, you will be using your warranty at some point.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to a BK King or Kuma Sequoia. I wish the kuma had the thermostat like the king does.

No big hurry now....it feels like summer is here. You might be able to score a discount now, though...

Well with the new house under construction and the framing already started I want to get the stove so it can be installed during the construction of the house

Reactions: Woody Stover
Hey everyone, I made my decision and the new stove is sitting in my garage until my builder needs it at the new place. I went with the Kuma Sequoia. It is still on the pallet and still wrapped up so I haven't really been able to study it yet but i did cut a hole in the plastic wrap to look in in the firebox.

Maybe it's just because I'm used to seeing the smaller 1.8cu/ft box on my Drolet 1800i insert but the firebox on this Sequoia seems BIG. I'm excited. The correct door and feet for the stove came and the guys at Kuma had this thing wrapped super nicely and nicely secured to the pallet.

So far so good. We will see what this thing can do in the new house winter of 2017. Nice to see USA stamped on the pallet. Feels good to support a USA based company.

With winter running out of days here in the south, the Drolet 1800i days are numbered as we won't be taking it with us. It has been a great insert and after re insulating the attic has kept us plenty warm. I will be saddened to leave it behind, but excited to have the Sequoia for next year.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Glad to hear that you got your stove, and I'm looking forward to hearing your reports on how it's working, given the considerations of your particular layout, etc. I think it will work well for you. :cool:

Glad to hear that you got your stove, and I'm looking forward to hearing your reports on how it's working, given the considerations of your particular layout, etc. I think it will work well for you. :cool:

Thank you Woody, I think it will work well also. In time we will find out. Will have 2+ year old split and stacked white and red oak ready for the sequoia .