Hearthstone GM 60 - break in fires?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day, I am hoping to start my first fire in my new GM 60 today. Owners manual says simply start one small fire until the outside of the stove is just warm enough to the touch, then tighten up the draft and let cool. Is this an overnight cool, several hours? Is only one small fire enough for the soap stone to clear itself of moisture? I also assume this is done every season moving forward, correct?

Thanks, Dave

Let it cool down for a few hours after the coals are cold. A morning fire and then a little bigger evening fire would do.

Good day begreen, I just finished the morning burn. Nothing more then a pile of kindling and a small split. Stayed lit/coals for 90 minutes and brought the stove top up to just touch temp (@125). All shut up now, cooling. Was hoping to fire it back up in a few more hours. Been cooling for a few hours already. With the next fire, I can go up to 350-400 stove top temp? Correct?

Yes, that should be ok. Burning about 4 - 3" splits should do.