hearthstone h1 gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jake22si

Jul 3, 2015
nh
Just replaced door gaskets in my H1 with the sizes listed in the gasket kit. The doors won't shut all the way without being forced and I don't want to break the frame. I got the 1/2" just doesn't seem right yet, unless it takes a while to settle in?

Looks like the H1 uses a combo of 2 ft. of 3/8" and 12 ft of 1/2" gasket on the doors. The vertical channel of the front door gets the thinner gasket. Here's the procedure:

1. To replace the gaskets you will need to first remove the doors. To remove the doors, open them and tap out the hinge pins. To accomplish this, use the hammer and 3/16” punch and tap the hinge pins up from the bottom of each hinge tab on the doorframes. Lay the detached doors face down on a protected surface (i.e. cardboard on a work bench).

2. Pull out the existing gasket and discard. Thoroughly clean the gasket channel with a wire brush. Wipe the dust out with a damp cloth. Apply a thin bead of gasket cement to the cleaned channel. Do not saturate the gasket with the glue as this will cause the rope to dry and harden. Pull the paper backing off the gasket rope and press it into the prepared channel. The 3/8” rope is placed in the vertical channel on the front door. The 1/2" gasket is used on both the side and front doors. Cut the gasket with the scissors in lengths to fit each door. When placing the rope into the channels, do not bunch or stretch the material.

3. To replace the glass gasket, first remove the screws that hold the glass retention bars in place using the 5/16” wrench. Apply penetrating oil to the bolts before removing them.

Instructions attached to this post

Attachments

• TDS91-58101 H-I Door and Glass Replacement Instructions.pdf
    105.4 KB · Views: 418
I did follow those directions, same as other stoves. Maybe its just a tight fit and hopefully will wear in. The old gaskets came out pretty well, there wasn't excess gasket cement and I did scrape, brush and sand the gasket channels before applying a very thin coat of cement. The gasket I got was gray not white don't know if there is a difference.

When all else fails...

Nah, it's a nice old stove. So you used 3/8" gasket on the vertical channel of the front door? Are both the front and the side doors closing hard?

Yes, I bought 1' of 3/8 and 6' of 1/2. Front and side are closing hard. I didn't stretch it, I put it in loosely, it would be a shame to rip it out but maybe I need the next size down

Is it binding on the hinge side or just hard to latch?

I bought them at a local stove shop, they had all the sizes so I don't think it was a multi size gasket

Good to hear that the gasket compressed enough to not be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.