Hearthstone Heritage 8024 - Question & PSA on Ceramic Insulation Blanket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TPPerlman

Dec 13, 2020
Eastern Long Island
Hi Folks,

Hope that everyone is having a good start to the burn season!

We purchased a new Heathstone Heritage Hybrid last year and are pretty much happy with it. We recently cleaned the chimney and needed to vacuum out the creosote pile from the back of the upper burn chamber behind the cats. Removing the pipes and baffles was no problem, but when vacuuming it out it pulled out parts of the ceramic insulation on top of the rear baffle (whoops, be careful where you vacuum :oops:).

I did re-set the ceramic blanket back where it was and hope it will stay put when starting the stove with a high draft. 🤞

So here's the question: does anyone know what brand of ceramic blanket material is best to use in these stoves if we replace across the full width above the rear baffle across the lower burn chamber? And should the insulation blanket be glued down? If so, what kind of adhesive should be used? There does appear to be a big round adhesive applied from the manufacturer to the left and right of the bypass.

Thank you for your feedback!

--Phil

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The best source for the insulation blanket is from Hearthstone. It will be the proper thickness and fit. The material is called kaowool, ceramic blanket. It can be bought online from a number of locations. If you go that route, be sure that it is the proper material and thickness. It is not glued down. Some companies put a weight or two on top of the blanket, but most just let it lie flat. It should never be bunched up. That will create restriction.

TPPerlman

Dec 13, 2020
Eastern Long Island
@begreen thank you very much for the info! We can get it from Hearthstone I suppose depending on the price, but we're not adverse to buying one we can cut ourself as long as it is the same material and thickness. Great recommendation on weights versus using glue., We could probably use some cast iron washers so they don't block/disrupt the airflow.

@bundy150 our 2020 model 8024 has it original from the factory. It appears to help insulate the gaps around the rear baffle and the upper burn chamber at the back of the stove. I've read some other posts that say some stoves have them and others don't. Some have removed it altogether. But I assume that if it is there it has some benefit since I understand they have to go through some grueling tests for EPA certification.

TPPerlman

Dec 13, 2020
Eastern Long Island
@bundy150 Maybe they think you won't have to replace it... but you could tear the blanket when removing it from the nearly 3" wide adhesive circles they used on the baffle. I can't seem to find a Heritage 8024 part number for it anywhere, but I did find one for the Heritage Mansfield which doesn't have catalysts on Amazon:

Lynn Manufacturing Replacement Hearthstone Baffle Blanket, Mansfield 8011 & 8012, 3120-201, 2426E

I'd need to get that or a roll of 1/4" blanket and cut it to size, but since it was torn and missing a section that may be difficult. I'm thinking if I lay it in place I could use a sharpie to mark the cuts. The stove is running now so I can't check, but I vaguely remember the blanket running vertically up the sides of the burn chamber on the left and right sides behind the catalysts too.