Hearthstone Heritage 8024 - Question & PSA on Ceramic Insulation Blanket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TPPerlman

Dec 13, 2020
Eastern Long Island
Hi Folks,

Hope that everyone is having a good start to the burn season!

We purchased a new Heathstone Heritage Hybrid last year and are pretty much happy with it. We recently cleaned the chimney and needed to vacuum out the creosote pile from the back of the upper burn chamber behind the cats. Removing the pipes and baffles was no problem, but when vacuuming it out it pulled out parts of the ceramic insulation on top of the rear baffle (whoops, be careful where you vacuum :oops:).

I did re-set the ceramic blanket back where it was and hope it will stay put when starting the stove with a high draft. 🤞

So here's the question: does anyone know what brand of ceramic blanket material is best to use in these stoves if we replace across the full width above the rear baffle across the lower burn chamber? And should the insulation blanket be glued down? If so, what kind of adhesive should be used? There does appear to be a big round adhesive applied from the manufacturer to the left and right of the bypass.

Thank you for your feedback!

--Phil

The best source for the insulation blanket is Hearthstone. It will be the proper thickness and fit. The material is called kaowool, ceramic blanket. It can be bought online from a number of locations. If you go that route, be sure that it is the proper material, density, and thickness. It is not glued down. Some companies put a weight or two on top of the blanket, but most just let it lie flat. It should never be bunched up. That will create restrictions.

@begreen thank you very much for the info! We can get it from Hearthstone I suppose depending on the price, but we're not adverse to buying one we can cut ourself as long as it is the same material and thickness. Great recommendation on weights versus using glue., We could probably use some cast iron washers so they don't block/disrupt the airflow.

@bundy150 our 2020 model 8024 has it original from the factory. It appears to help insulate the gaps around the rear baffle and the upper burn chamber at the back of the stove. I've read some other posts that say some stoves have them and others don't. Some have removed it altogether. But I assume that if it is there it has some benefit since I understand they have to go through some grueling tests for EPA certification.

@bundy150 Maybe they think you won't have to replace it... but you could tear the blanket when removing it from the nearly 3" wide adhesive circles they used on the baffle. I can't seem to find a Heritage 8024 part number for it anywhere, but I did find one for the Heritage Mansfield which doesn't have catalysts on Amazon:

Lynn Manufacturing Replacement Hearthstone Baffle Blanket, Mansfield 8011 & 8012, 3120-201, 2426E

I'd need to get that or a roll of 1/4" blanket and cut it to size, but since it was torn and missing a section that may be difficult. I'm thinking if I lay it in place I could use a sharpie to mark the cuts. The stove is running now so I can't check, but I vaguely remember the blanket running vertically up the sides of the burn chamber on the left and right sides behind the catalysts too.

Just like TPPerlman, I managed to catch my baffle blanket with the shop vac...and destroyed it. I found the part number for it: REAR BAFFLE BLANKET (3120-025). Cannot find a replacement anywhere. I've contacted several online suppliers. Only two have responded with an "I don't know"...the others are silent. Any listing I've seen says to contact supplier for pricing.

Only had our stove for a season...nervous about firing it up this year without the blanket but it's getting kind of cold in the evenings this last week...

Have your dealer, Woodmans or Rocky Mtn. Stove get in touch with Hearthstone. The stove is new. With the high demand right now for stoves, Hearthstone might not have had spare parts to send to the dealers yet. Based on this thread, it sounds like they need to get these supplies in the channel.

Just like TPPerlman, I managed to catch my baffle blanket with the shop vac...and destroyed it. I found the part number for it: REAR BAFFLE BLANKET (3120-025). Cannot find a replacement anywhere. I've contacted several online suppliers. Only two have responded with an "I don't know"...the others are silent. Any listing I've seen says to contact supplier for pricing.

Only had our stove for a season...nervous about firing it up this year without the blanket but it's getting kind of cold in the evenings this last week...
This seems to still be available and you can probably cut to size:

Lynn Manufacturing Replacement Hearthstone Baffle Blanket, Mansfield 8011 & 8012, 3120-201, 2426E https://a.co/d/6A32EJU

@bundygave some great background on the insulation. Let us know how it turns out!

I swear I was just reading this thread yesterday and I must really not have been processing it.. Because, guess what.. Today I go ahead and do my pre season maintenance.. Clean the chimney, clean out the stove and what do I do? Put my central vacuum hose up and in the cleanout tee to get rid of the accumulated junk. What happens? I suck out some of the insulation blanket. Didn't look like it was damaged beyond use but I'm not 100% sure on how it should be reinstalled. I went ahead and reached up into the rear of the stove and felt around and could feel blanket on the shelf behind the left catalyst but not the right.. So I just laid it down behind the right catalyst. When I open up the bypass it seems to press down on the blanket.. Not sure if that's normal and I'm having a hard time looking at the parts diagram if this is correct.

This one may be a better fit:

Lynn Manufacturing Replacement Hearthstone Ceramic Baffle Blanket, Phoenix 8612, 3120-210, 2428E https://a.co/d/exgQT0B

It is the same part mentioned here for the Heritage, but it only mentions an older models:

It is kinda silly that this model has been around for years and Hearthstone doesn't have replacements. The way they treat customers and queries will definitely make me less likely to recommend or buy again.

Thank you! I just placed an order. I'm struggling a bit on installation as I'm just feeling around with my hand through the back of the stove. Does the blanket simply lay the length of the stove behind the catalysts?

Regarding the Hearthstone Heritage hybrid (ours was installed in Dec. 2021):
The ceramic wool that sits centered directly on the baffle was added by Hearthstone recently in order to meet EPA emissions standards so that the stoves would be in government compliance for that Federal Gov't rebate, which is now at 30%. It is not necessary to run the stove.
This is why it is not included in the specs in the operation manual. This info comes from our reputable installer, which is Lehman's in Ohio.

The ceramic wool that sits centered directly on the baffle was added by Hearthstone recently in order to meet EPA emissions standards so that the stoves would be in government compliance for that Federal Gov't rebate, which is now at 30%. It is not necessary to run the stove.
This is why it is not included in the specs in the operation manual. This info comes from our reputable installer, which is Lehman's in Ohio.
Hearthstone made significant changes to its stoves to meet the 2020 EPA requirements. Adding a catalyst and bypass are notable differences. If the back baffle ceramic blanket was needed to exceed 75% HHV, then it is required. The part is listed in the parts diagram and has a part number. It should be present. The stove may function without it, but with some effect on efficiency. The manual specifically states: Never modify this stove in any way. If there is a warranty issue, operation without the ceramic blanket, could void it.

Under warranty exclusions & conditions:
J. Modifications of the appliance not expressly authorized and approved by Hearthstone in writing

Note: The stove and installation qualify for a 30% tax credit, capped at $2000 annually. It is not a rebate.

Hearthstone made significant changes to its stoves to meet the 2020 EPA requirements. Adding a catalyst and bypass are notable differences. If the back baffle ceramic blanket was needed to exceed 75% HHV, then it is required. The part is listed in the parts diagram and has a part number. It should be present. The stove may function without it, but with some effect on efficiency. The manual specifically states: Never modify this stove in any way. If there is a warranty issue, operation without the ceramic blanket, could void it.

Under warranty exclusions & conditions:
J. Modifications of the appliance not expressly authorized and approved by Hearthstone in writing

Note: The stove and installation qualify for a 30% tax credit, capped at $2000 annually. It is not a rebate.
Thanks for your feedback! Where is this part in the manual? Maybe we missed it. Maybe there is a parts diagram we missed?

Thanks for your feedback! Where is this part in the manual? Maybe we missed it. Maybe there is a parts diagram we missed?
and...I worded this to sound like Lehman's told us it was OK to operate without the ceramic wool, but that's not what I meant. In fact, they told us how to put the ceramic wool back on the baffle. unfortunately, I do not see this information in the manual which made me us think it was an afterthought. Perhaps, Hearthstone needs to improve this part of their manual as clearly, others don't know what's going on after reading it fully, either.

Yes, the wording sounded like operating the stove without the blanket was ok. It is not.

Here is the response I got today from Hearthstone support:

The part is available in stock at Hearthstone but has to be ordered through a Hearthstone dealer or parts dealer.

Part # 3120-025 Suggested retail $ 32.00

The part is ceramic wool blanket 1/4" thick and 19" x 3" . Alternately sourced ceramic wool blanket (not foil backed) of the same dimensions is ok.

We cannot recommend operating a Hearthstone stove without parts that the stove is manufactured with.

Reactions: TPPerlman
Yes, the wording sounded like operating the stove without the blanket was ok. It is not.

Here is the response I got today from Hearthstone support:

The part is available in stock at Hearthstone but has to be ordered through a Hearthstone dealer or parts dealer.

Part # 3120-025 Suggested retail $ 32.00

The part is ceramic wool blanket 1/4" thick and 19" x 3" . Alternately sourced ceramic wool blanket (not foil backed) of the same dimensions is ok.

We cannot recommend operating a Hearthstone stove without parts that the stove is manufactured with.
Thank you so much for the info @begreen ! We'll be tackling the cleanout and blanket this weekend using the 1/4" Lynn Manufacturing ceramic blanket. And thank you for the dimensions too since measuring it was kind of difficult. It is curious how this blanket still isn't mentioned in the manual along with replacing the rear baffle plate even years after the 8024's release.

Happy burning!!

Reactions: trainifamily