HearthStone Heritage break in fire!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bcnu said:
" How high is your hearth?"
The hearth is 2 inches high. Natural stone slate tile, really Quartzite on ½" Durock cement board all on ½" Micore 300 as a base for the hearth. "Combustible flooring must be protected with a covering of noncombustible material with an R-value of 1.2" is needed for the 2004 HearthStone Heritage hearth.

bcnu said:
"To get a flush hearth what would you have done with floor/subfloor(if old hearth wasn’t there?) "
Talk to your building inspector and see what he wants to see, them a architect or carpenter to see how to do it, I guess. The total weight loads are high on a stove and hearth. Expert help planing is the only safe way to go. Start a Question in The Hearth Room forum those guys have some ideas.

bcnu said:
" What is the distance from your stove vent to your flue - it looks like your vent pipe is almost at the very back of your stove."
The stove back is 10 inches to the centre of the connector T vertical vent.

I had a 7 1/2 hour burn last night 2/08/2007 in my New Heritage. At midnight room temp. was 72ºF. I loaded 1 huge split of 2yr seasoned oak and a 4/4 oak dunage piece to fill the fire box on 1/4 box full of hot hard wood coals. The stove surface temp was 400º F at reload.

I used full air, doors closed, until a secondary top down burn started, them only secondary air all night. At 7:30 AM room temp 64ºF outside temp 10º F all night, the stove surface temp was 275º F and a large bed of hot coals to help start the next load.

Its been in 5 years and this stove keeps getting better! In last winters demanding season November to May 24/7 here in Michigan we were 100% Wood heat. On the coldest day about 9 below we had the stove room at 81F.

A door latch was replaced in warranty. The baffle (Burned thin) has been replaced for the redesigned thicker new one.. The enamel has some flea bit chips where the vacuum hit the legs.... Every year I replace the door gaskets and Sweep the liner as needed.

This stove seems dirtier than the old Sierra we had at our first home. Dust in the room from cleaning out all the Ash ash. The draft is less so it is easy for a puff of ash to escape when cleaning ash out of a Hot stove. The ash grate is useless and the ash pan is never used.

I'm thoroughly satisfied and would recommend a Hearthstone Soapstone to anyone and will do it again if we ever need a new stove.

Just a update to say this things working great needed a replacement baffle after 4 years, they wear out. I learned to top down the burn works great!! Keeping the secondary air open is the trick to get it hot on nights like tonight 75F in here 8F out side!!

Status
Not open for further replies.