Hearthstone Heritage OR Pacific Energy Spectrum Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TacMed Samaritan

Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I am about to pull the trigger on either a Heartstone Heritage soapstone or regular cast iron PE Spectrum Classic for use in Texas.

Got a question........

The Heartstone Heritage says it warms slowly, retains heat, and lasts longer. Im new here so to me that sounds like it allows a lot of heat to escape up the chimney by not conveying the heat out of the box into the room in contrast to a cast iron that conveys the heat fast and hard.

HH literature shows temps 350 at 1 hour, 450 at 2 hours, capping at 500 at about 3 hours.

Then HH shows cast iron temps 550 at 1 hour, and 750 at 2 hours where it caps.

So almost TWICE the heat out of a cast iron stove??

I can get a PE Spectrum Classic for slightly less money but I just want to make the right decision and want to be sure im not looking at horsepower numbers when I should be looking at torque, so to speak.

The Heritage is prettier, but the Spectrum is easier to maintain and a good heater. If you want the heat-sink quality of soapstone, but like the PE design, look at the Alderlea T5.

The regular PE spectrum is not cast iron. It’s a good stove but plate steel. If you want cast iron then the alderlea series is the same spectrum firebox with cast iron plates bolted to the sides.

I pushed 30 cords through a modern hearthstone heritage. I now own two plate steel stoves. The whole “heat life” and high thermal mass is actually a negative thing in my experience. It sucked when you were cold and trying to get warm. Took hours!