Hearthstone Heritage Pellet Stove time from start to ignition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of you out there has a Hearthstone Heritage Pellet stove, How long does it take to ignite, from the time you turn it on. Mine is in my barn......where is usually sits and cold soaks. When i go to start it, sometimes it takes 25 mins to light off, other times, it times out and won't light at all (but always lights on the 2nd attempt). I am thinking the issue is the fact that the firebox is cold soaked and the all the ignitors heat is being absorded by the very cold cast iron/and or very cold pellets and this is the reason for slow starting of not starting.

I don't have the same stove or situation as you but I do believe your reasoning is sound. My stove starts up in 3 to 5 minutes but it's never cold soaked like yours. What I would do in your case is start the stove with a propane torch instead.

I would have to agree with Jackman. Do the stove and yourself a favor and manually ignite. Pressure igniters have no issue with a bit of cold, basically electric blow torches.

Try a different type pellet (hardwood or softwood) or a different brand of pellet. Some of us with this problem are beginning to suspect pellet moisture differences even between different batches of the same pellet brand.

I shutdown my stove today for a light cleaning. It took 8 minutes to start but I put too many pellets in the pot which overloaded it. I usually put in an extra handful to help it along after emptying the burn pot but I've found that if there are too many it takes longer to start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.