Hearthstone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the equinox and have been burning for two years now. I push about 8 cord a year through and that is filling it three times a day (more if I have the day off). Morning, afternoon and night loadings with keep our 2400sq ft home around 70 with temps down to -10 or so. Although it is not the exact same stove we have had great luck with it and provides the most even and consistent heat you could imagine (no cold spots).
I think an Equinox in my living room would end up in my basement...structural failure of the home, not the stove :eek:

Not denying the weakness but I do wonder if graphite from day one makes a difference? I would have put a Tribute in my basement if I could have found one at the right price. I got tired of shopping and dealing with the public and decided to get something I knew!
I have no idea whether the latch lip would have worn down at all had I not put in that disastrously too-fat gasket. And for sure, if I was aware it was a vulnerable part of the stove, I would have trained my reflexes to push the stove door in much more firmly before turning the handle and engaging the latch.

So right size of gasket, a little graphite, having enough experience not to have to open the door to adjust things every 15 minutes and pushing the door in harder before turning the latch I'm sure would at the very least have made it last longer before having major problems. (I got it second-hand, so its useful life was about 10 years before I gave up and got the Heritage)

I really liked that little stove, I have to say. It did yeoman's work for me. And it saved my financial bacon when my income crashed at the beginning of the recession and the price of heating oil shot through the roof. I bear it no ill will. (But there sure are some people both at Hearthstone and the local dealer I'd like to slap around pretty good!)

I think an Equinox in my living room would end up in my basement...structural failure of the home, not the stove :eek:
Me, too. Although given the depth of my living room where the chimney is, it would end up in the doorway to my kitchen.==c

Some models from Hearthstone used much different hardware for hinges and latches. I recall the equinox was built with a more durable design.

Status
Not open for further replies.