Hearthstone Homestead secondary burn problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USA-498

Mar 12, 2014
Greenport, NY
IMG_1008.JPG
Why is the secondary action only taking place on the left side of the tubes ( see picture ) does something need cleaning ?

Thanks !

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
It's normal. It depends on the air movement within the fire box.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
View attachment 156088 Why is the secondary action only taking place on the left side of the tubes ( see picture ) does something need cleaning ?

Thanks !

Peter
prezes13 is right. At least with a non-cat tube stove, the secondary burn is rarely totally balanced. It's all over the place, depending on the size, shape and placement of the splits, and also the mixture of woods you've got in there. Not to worry. It looks great, actually.

It looks like the flames are coming off the wood on the right side, gasses are burning before they get up to the tubes. There's not an air leak on that side, is there? Door gasket or something? You can put your stove make and model in your sig, maybe someone will have an idea based on that...

That's a pic of mine this morning. Stove is running at 550 or so, primaries fully shut.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. The combustion definitely sweeps to the left. I'll check the door gasket on the right side.

The combustion definitely sweeps to the left. I'll check the door gasket on the right side.
Yeah, flames leaning definitely point to some air coming in. There could also be a seam leak. Sometimes you can see where these are when conditions are right in the fire box. If there's a lot of smoke in the box, sometimes flame will erupt where the air is coming in, on my cat stoves anyway. Not sure if the same happens in tube stoves.
;lol @ myself for asking about the stove model; It's in the thread title! ;em

Status
Not open for further replies.