Hearthstone II Ash Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirigoma

Jan 7, 2014
Western Mass
We restored this stove last year (new back plate, baffle, glass, redid soapstone). Then had a chimney fire in the process of learning to use it (v. our big Waterford I sold to restore this one). Photo attached.

It's not running well enough for me -- by reviewing old posts I can see we should check the secondary air pipe, gaskets and any other air leaks.

But today I broke off the striker bolt on the Camlock Assembly used to seal the ash door (see missing part above camlock in photo). The screw broke at the cast iron (has been finicky from the beginning) and I have the part. Called the parts dept at Preston Trading and this is no longer avail - they sell a rebuild for the door?

Has anyone had this trouble and replaced the striker bolt or do we need the $100+ retrofit, assuming we can get the bolt out?

It's 5 degrees here ... not good timing, as bricks don't hold the ash door well enough.

Thank you!

Attachments

• stove bricks.JPG
    stove bricks.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 5,694
  • stricker bolt.JPG
    stricker bolt.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 705
how about taking the door off and drilling it out then use a nut and bolt?

If what they're selling is the replacement ash pan with like an integral "door" that has a regular handle thing that you turn to lock, then by all means get it! It's a huge improvement and there's nothing to break on it
. Ever.

If what they're selling is the replacement ash pan with like an integral "door" that has a regular handle thing that you turn to lock, then by all means get it! It's a huge improvement and there's nothing to break on it
. Ever.
I've been burning an earlier HII almost thirty years. I know exactly what your dealing with. I think they switch ash pan door style in 86, probably because of problems with this locking system. I always cringe when I close mine. My guess is that you'll be able to coax the broken bolt out since you didn't snap it off by over tightening. Try slotting the exposed end with very small chisel and then unscrew with a small flat head screwdriver. Once out consider replacing it with a stainless steel socket screw or shoulder bolt (http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/type-chart.aspx). Stainless is much stronger than steel.

I have a Hearthstone II that I just bought and didn't realize until I got it home the the ash pad door was broken. Does anyone have a door that I can buy! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.