Hearthstone ii restoration newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catchfraaz

May 28, 2022
Michigan
Greetings! I’m deeply appreciative of all the knowledge I’ve found on this thread. I just found a hearthstone ii at a garage sale sonI grabbed it to restore and use at our little cabin. Broke it all down today. The cast is a little rusty but should clean up OK
459B4C70-A561-4A8A-BDD6-21F13CF4CEC5.jpeg

A number of the stones are broken. My plan is to cut new ones as I have good access to soapstone. Question 1…has anyone ever had full side pieces fabricated instead of using tiles/smaller pieces? Is that a bad idea?

Question 2, what’s the best source for internal parts? The top and back plate are both trashed and need to be replaced.
Also…is this baffle serviceable or do I need to replace it too?
DF1862C2-6310-4B88-BE5B-7012E8F6E4E4.jpeg

The baffle might be able to be straightened out for a bit more lifetime.
I suspect that the larger the section of soapstone, the more vulnerable it may be to cracking. Have you read the rebuild thread of this stove by Kevlar_vw?

Reactions: Catchfraaz
use the baffle like it is if it gets in the way then replace it. i had it made at a welding/metal shop if you can't find one when its time.

The baffle may have warped if the secondary burn tube has ruptured. That can make a hot spot in the middle.

Secondary tube is about the only internal that is still in good shape.
That's unusual. It may have been replaced. Feel around the back of the tube for a split.

that is the way mine was when i bought it. mine was just run too hot. all the plates inside had to be changed and the baffle. mine was sagging way to much. the side door was leaking air and someone put in two panes of regular glass instead of ceramic glass so both cracked and it was leaking air from there and air was getting in where the secondary pipe was run thru the side stone. tech support at hearthstone says that the stove should not be run more than 550 degrees on the center stone, mine would run with the air shut down all the way at 750

You're not the first to look for alternatives to the ridiculously expensive cast liners. Depending on how valuable your time is, you may find it most advantageous to hold your nose and just buy them. Take heart knowing that they come with the nuts AND bolts you'll need.