Hearthstone II Value?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hatch

May 11, 2020
Castile
Hello, can anyone point me in the right direction on finding out the value of an older Hearthstone II soapstone stove. I think that is the correct model, the plate has a serial number but lists both the I & II models. My wife and I received it from a coworker years ago and never used it. We are getting our house ready to sell and we would like to get rid of it. I'm not sure if I should sell it just for parts or if someone can use it at all. I'm sure it would have to be gone through and checked, it has sat for many years out on our porch. Any input or help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2493.JPG
    IMG_2493.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2496.JPG
    IMG_2496.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2499.JPG
    IMG_2499.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2501.JPG
    IMG_2501.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 201
Depending on the interior condition $300-500? A little steel wool to remove the rust and repaint of the metal with a stove paint could add $100 in value to the right person.

Did you
Hello, can anyone point me in the right direction on finding out the value of an older Hearthstone II soapstone stove. I think that is the correct model, the plate has a serial number but lists both the I & II models. My wife and I received it from a coworker years ago and never used it. We are getting our house ready to sell and we would like to get rid of it. I'm not sure if I should sell it just for parts or if someone can use it at all. I'm sure it would have to be gone through and checked, it has sat for many years out on our porch. Any input or help would be appreciated.
learn anything about this stove - im
Just now looking at a used one - and trying to figure out if I can move it

Did you

learn anything about this stove - im
Just now looking at a used one - and trying to figure out if I can move it

I had one of these. I moved it with an appliance dolly and got it up on my hearth using sawhorses and ratchet straps to lift it.

Check the condition of the baffle and the side/back plates inside. The baffle is still available for about $200. When I bought my stove, the baffle was burned out of it so I needed to get a new baffle right away. I replaced the metal plates inside of the stove the following year. I used 1/4" mild steel rather than buy the plates from Hearthstone. That turned out to be a mistake, but at the time I couldn't spend hundreds more on parts for the stove.

I guess I'm saying, it has internal metal parts that you should check out before buying it. If you think you are getting an attractive, old pre-EPA stove for a few hundred bucks you might have to spend another $500 on parts.

The thermostatic control worked halfway decent on mine. I thought that was a pretty fancy feature to have on such an old stove.

I ran it for a couple of years and then switched to an All Nighter. The All Nighter was a better stove, in my opinion. It wasn't as pretty, though.

Alternatively you could just get some fine steel wool and put a little elbow grease into it then use stove polish on it. I prefer it to paint.