Hearthstone III Replacement - Heritage or Mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trapdoor2038

Apr 11, 2021
Northeast PA
I am looking for replacement options for a 1986/1987 non-catted Hearthstone III. It has served me well, but needs parts replaced that are no longer available. My reserach has led me to the Heartstone Heritage and Mansfield both of which will match the aesthetics closely to the existing stove, but about double/triple the BTU output all while staying within the confines of the existing fire pad.

The largest variables are the 20' high wall of 1980's double pane windows, tongue and groove ceiling/walls, and only R-19 ceiling and wall insulation. On cold days (single digits and negative), the house can barely keep 70' with the stove and electric baseboard heat on max. The room the stove is in is about 20x24x12' and is joined by two other rooms that are 10x24x12' above which is the master bedroom loft also with vaulted ceilings. When the stove is running the loft gets toasty with the loft doors open though the stove-level is never quite comfy unless the outside temperature is closer to freezing.

In the future, I plan to insulate the walls and roof. My first question is whether the Mansfield is overkill now. My second question is if the Mansfield is overkill if I majorly insulate the walls and roof, but still have that wall of older windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4262.jpeg

The windows are a major heat loser. Go large. Either for the Mansfield or also consider the Woodstock Progress Hybrid.

Reactions: Highbeam
I am looking for replacement options for a 1986/1987 non-catted Hearthstone III. It has served me well, but needs parts replaced that are no longer available. My reserach has led me to the Heartstone Heritage and Mansfield both of which will match the aesthetics closely to the existing stove, but about double/triple the BTU output all while staying within the confines of the existing fire pad.

The largest variables are the 20' high wall of 1980's double pane windows, tongue and groove ceiling/walls, and only R-19 ceiling and wall insulation. On cold days (single digits and negative), the house can barely keep 70' with the stove and electric baseboard heat on max. The room the stove is in is about 20x24x12' and is joined by two other rooms that are 10x24x12' above which is the master bedroom loft also with vaulted ceilings. When the stove is running the loft gets toasty with the loft doors open though the stove-level is never quite comfy unless the outside temperature is closer to freezing.

In the future, I plan to insulate the walls and roof. My first question is whether the Mansfield is overkill now. My second question is if the Mansfield is overkill if I majorly insulate the walls and roof, but still have that wall of older windows.

View attachment 277742

We installed a Heritage last summer. Only used this winter - and it's got to go! We live in a old house with 9' ceilings and lots of windows. It's not big enough. If you go Hearthstone, I'd say do get the Mansfield. We're looking at a Progress Hybrid or Ideal Steel from Woodstock for our replacement.

We installed a Heritage last summer. Only used this winter - and it's got to go! We live in a old house with 9' ceilings and lots of windows. It's not big enough. If you go Hearthstone, I'd say do get the Mansfield. We're looking at a Progress Hybrid or Ideal Steel from Woodstock for our replacement.
Interesting data point! How large is your house by sq ft and where is the stove located? Thanks for sharing!

Interesting data point! How large is your house by sq ft and where is the stove located? Thanks for sharing!

House is about 2100 sq ft, in Louisiana. Stove is located on old 'side porch' we call it - enclosed old porch that is part of LR. Has jalousie windows all around 3 sides (with plexiglass to stop air leakage). Whole house has lots of windows though. It has not been able to really keep the whole area as warm as we'd like - the wood stove is our main heat most of the time. We had to sit on top of it and keep adding wood during the week long snow & ice storm a couple of months back.
We had a VC Defiant for about 17 years in this same location, and it worked MUCH better. Kept the entire front portion of the house warm.
After doing more research on EPA BTUs (wish I'd found last year!) we should have gotten the Mansfield. The Heritage is a good stove, but I'd go for the larger one - or a Woodstock PH.

House is about 2100 sq ft, in Louisiana. Stove is located on old 'side porch' we call it - enclosed old porch that is part of LR. Has jalousie windows all around 3 sides (with plexiglass to stop air leakage). Whole house has lots of windows though. It has not been able to really keep the whole area as warm as we'd like - the wood stove is our main heat most of the time. We had to sit on top of it and keep adding wood during the week long snow & ice storm a couple of months back.
We had a VC Defiant for about 17 years in this same location, and it worked MUCH better. Kept the entire front portion of the house warm.
After doing more research on EPA BTUs (wish I'd found last year!) we should have gotten the Mansfield. The Heritage is a good stove, but I'd go for the larger one - or a Woodstock PH.
Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 277742
Hi there, did you end up replacing your Hearthstone III? Do you still have it? I just got a used one and like you I am having a problem with the lack of parts. I need he flue collar and gasket, and also the damper knob , and if you still have them I would be so glad to pay you for these. Thanks, Chundo