Hearthstone Install - need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ontheneck

Oct 19, 2016
Eatons Neck, NY 11768
First post. Thanks in advance.
Lucky to have a stone fireplace (w/masonry chimney) in my kitchen. For eight years, I've had a Pacific Energy wood insert in there. Thing disappoints, majorly. Been burning wood in 3 other stoves for 30 years, so I know what good heat is.Currently have an old Jotul in my living room which heats that space (50% larger than kitchen) way more effectively with half the wood.

I bought a 12-year-old Hearthstone Hearthmount (OH) on Craigslist for cheap. Thing is in nice shape. I spent a couple of hours dismantling the insert and am ready to pull it out and connect the Hearthstone. Never did this so here are a few questions:

1) The stove came with oval-to-round and T-Connect w/cap but the T is a bit rusty (again, 12 years old)...surface rust that can be scoured off w steel wool. See attached. Looks serviceable to my neophyte eye. Can I go with it or should I splurge and buy a new one? If I can go with it, any paint product recommended to topcoat the scoured finish?

2) At points of connection - chimney liner into T-connect and oval into rear vent of stove - should I smear furnace cement on those connections? Seems like it would make a great seal, but if I have to remove the stove later on, seems like it would make that much more difficult. Is this necessary? Please advise.

3) Chimney liner should go INSIDE T-Connect - (or, more properly put) starting from top of chimney, all pipes moving downward toward stove should go INSIDE the other to reduce condensation problems? I read that somewhere. Is it true and necessary?

Thanks!

Attachments

• tconnect.JPG
    tconnect.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 159
Without a block-off plate the insert may be heating the outdoors as much as the indoors. A block-off plate will be essential for the Hearthstone.

Replace the tee with a proper stainless steel liner T that has a top clamp for the liner. Order one with a long enough snout to reach the oval to round adapter on the stove.

The Hearthstone Homestead hearthmount will bring you back to a radiant stove. Can't fairly compare a convective insert to a freestanding, highly radiant cast stove. It's a different type of heat. It is a good heater, but has the highest hearth insulation requirement that I know of. Be sure to read the manual for the hearth requirements.

Thanks much, begreen. Block-off plate was not even a speck in my mind, though after the fact, it seems completely intuitive. Not an easy project - in the midst of other difficulties - but common sense says it'll make a big difference. Luckily, the hardware store had sheets of galv. material perfectly suited. Found this link: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/ which was helpful.
As far as the insulation requirement goes: yeah, I read that. Stove will sit squarely on hearth. I can't and won't and don't need to have really hot and continuos burns. Long Island....rarely gets under 15 degrees.
While (if) I have your attention: How high can I reasonably extend 7 1/2" oval stain.steel flex pipe above the top of chimney?

How high can I reasonably extend 7 1/2" oval stain.steel flex pipe above the top of chimney?
Not much unless the cap base can hide it.

I'm seriously interested to see if that stone heater will out perform that insert. If it does it's only because of it's radiant nature. Or possibly the block off plate. I felt like my hearthstone was seriously over rated. A huge stove that performed like a small iron stove. It seemed to heat the flue with no trouble though!;lol

I'm seriously interested to see if that stone heater will out perform that insert. If it does it's only because of it's radiant nature. Or possibly the block off plate. I felt like my hearthstone was seriously over rated. A huge stove that performed like a small iron stove. It seemed to heat the flue with no trouble though!;lol

Yeah, Webby. Lit the thing two nights ago, to see if my hook-up actually worked (it did! Draft was adequate even on a still night and no smoke leaks) and the difference SEEMED huge. Some kindling and only 3 logs (a 'break-in' burn? manual suggested this) and my kitchen was toasty. Then, again, it was in the high 50s outside AND I had just put in Herculean effort to do the install, so I was not in a frame of mind to objectively assess.I NEEDED that bad girl to crank to make my work seem worthwhile. I think, though, that it'll be a huge improvement. The insert just ate wood like a monster with precious little to show for it. I suspect not having a proper block-off plate may have been a contributing factor to its ineffectiveness.

Once I knew what a block-off plate was, fabricated and mounted my own, I looked at the removed insert and realized it had one mounted directly on top of the stove, which was super-stupid. Heat must've just wafted around the edges and flew up the chimney. I blame my own ignorance in not researching at the time of install and a lazy installer who did the job 8 years ago without ever suggesting it.

Sunday night, temps will drop into the low 40s and I'll get a chance to really test it. Will let you know then about the performance difference.

Thanks again to Begreen, who insisted on the block-off plate, a no-brainer to anyone experienced in this kinda thing, but not something I even considered when I thought through doing the install myself. It's a game changer - all for $16 worth of sheet metal and a large dollop of furnace cement. And a pound of creosote in my mouth and eyes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.