Hearthstone New Greenmountain Stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nz3000owner

Apr 11, 2018
CT
After reading all I could find in a search for these stoves I’m guessing I may be tared and feathered for this post but......

I’m looking at going to a freestanding stove in my house. About 3000 sq ft total withwide open floor plan. About 2000 of it is heated entirely with the stove.

I stoped at a dealer today to look at a PE T6 in person for the first time since its at the top of my list. After talking to the sales guy about my set up he said the T6 is a great stove BUT he wanted to show me a new stove he thought I might be interested in. It was the Greenmountain 60. I like the looks of it which is important for us but I was very interested in the specs of the stove. BTU output and efficiency and 24 hour burn time. He said that they have a 80 model that is being released this summer and that’s what would suit my needs but it has the same specs as the 60 and design.

So has anyone here actually boughten a 60 and run it yet? I’m curious to hear what your thoughts are. I’m trying to decide on a stove and this one has grabbed my attention. Along with the BK 30. I have no experience with a cat stove though. Are they a nightmare and dream like all the reading I’ve done seem to make them out to be?

New stove models are great. Nobody can verify this 24 burn time but if that’s for real I would be happy with the huge improvement. I had a hearthstone that was spec’d for a 10 hour burntime and it could do it.

Reactions: webby3650
The 24 hour burn time is laughable! Not a chance... never have never will.
If you want serious burn times don’t overlook the Blaze Kings, nothing will outburn them.
It’s a brand new model, no one can give you any real world experience with it. From real world experience I can tell you it doesn’t look durable at all. Cat right out front in the fire with no protection at all. Hearthstone has always been prone to cracking, nothing has changed there.

Last edited:
I don't like recommending any brand new stove model. It may be nice, or it may not, but for sure specs can often differ from real world operation and experience. If you get it let us know how it works throughout the heating season.

What was his reason for talking you out of the T6?

E7F472ED-E529-44D3-B170-D428E586788E.png 4A526491-3B50-49A9-99B2-F37462C56921.png 0E2E9299-7558-45C5-B2DF-6DDF2CEA2867.png
So I’m wondering if anyone on this site has gone and bought a Greenmountain stove that can give some user experience. If not then I will ask the dealer if I can speak with someone who has purchased from them.

They had a 60 on the floor yesterday and I looked it over. It’s a heavy cast iron stove and is lined with soapstone rather than firebrick on the inside. Here are secondary burner tubes with air control lever plus a small cat with temp probe and operating lever. It’s not a soapstone stove like their other traditional stoves. He was showing it to me because of the burn time and efficiency they say you will get out of it that I would burn less wood than a T6 with less fill ups and longer burns but still get the same amount of heat out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even the t6 is too dirty for the new 2020 standards so they’ve come out with a “le” version that may or may not be as good as the old one.

I would rather a noncat than a poorly executed cat stove.

This is a whole new time in the stove world.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
I don't recall a review being posted here yet. There are some mixed reviews on Facebook for the Green Mountain 60. One owner liked the heat output but complained about short burn times (~6hrs), difficulty in keeping the cat up to temp at times and smoke rollout. Without knowing more about the installation and wood it's hard to say whether the wood or installation was part of these reported issues.

This is brand new to the stove industry, you aren’t going to find many reviews or experiences with it yet.

I should clarify, when I said Hearthstone is prone to cracking I meant the soapstone stoves. The Iron stoves have not had this issue.

I appreciate the responses, but I don’t think I’m going to go with this stove because if it being so new and some unproven technology in my opinion. I don’t want to be a gunnie pig.

Reactions: Highbeam
I appreciate the responses, but I don’t think I’m going to go with this stove because if it being so new and some unproven technology in my opinion. I don’t want to be a gunnie pig.
That would be my suggestion as well. They may turn out to be great stoves but we just don't know.

Be careful buying any stove right now that you are getting the time tested version and not the new and “improved” 2020 compliant version.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
did you end up settling on a wood stove? i am also in CT and looking around at upgrading my old crappy wood/coal stove mid or late winter. i have over two 55gal drums of free coal i need to use first but after that i am not sure

did you end up settling on a wood stove? i am also in CT and looking around at upgrading my old crappy wood/coal stove mid or late winter. i have over two 55gal drums of free coal i need to use first but after that i am not sure
I did. I found a floor model Blaze King Ashford 30.1 in the chestnut brown enamel on sale and bought it.

I’ve been working nonstop for the last 2 weeks to tear out my NZ3000 and get this installed. I’m planning on setting theAshford on the hearth today and hope to have the first small fire in it this evening to start to burn all the funk off with the windows open in the house.
I’ll have to put some pics up of the install after I get it done.

I’m trying to sell my NZ3000 now as well.

I did. I found a floor model Blaze King Ashford 30.1 in the chestnut brown enamel on sale and bought it.

I’ve been working nonstop for the last 2 weeks to tear out my NZ3000 and get this installed. I’m planning on setting theAshford on the hearth today and hope to have the first small fire in it this evening to start to burn all the funk off with the windows open in the house.
I’ll have to put some pics up of the install after I get it done.

I’m trying to sell my NZ3000 now as well.
Sounds like you will need to change your handle to ExNZ3000owner too.

Whar are you looking to get for it?
I have it listed on FB market place for $3000.

It has heated our 3000 sq ft home with an open floor plan. Comes with wrought iron face and doors, black Arch screen kit, NZ64 blower system, NZ220 hot air gravity vent kit, hearth stone that’s about 16”X70”x2”, 2 foot section and 2 elbows of class A chimney pipe. Over $7000 new with everything included.