ChevWood15 Posted By ChevWood15, Apr 27, 2018 at 12:27 AM

1. ChevWood15

ChevWood15
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2018
    Loc:
    N.Y.
    New member here! Been lurking through many threads, now time to ask. My wife and I had an old Fisher stove insert that's on its last legs. We have been looking at new inserts for a while. Its narrowed down to the Hearthstone Clydesdale and the Enviro Boston 1700. Just looking for any advice and reviews for the two. Mainly looking for reliability and realistic burn times. Thanks!

2. stovelark

stovelark
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2009
    Loc:
    SE CT
    Hi Chev- Both quality stoves. The Clydesdale looks like a very massive, very robust stove. Firebox for both is around 2.5cf. The Boston is a beautiful stove too, very quiet blower, has the venerable burn engine of all 1700 series enviros, a steel box with cast iron cladding. The Clydesdale has a bigger fireview, if that's important. Both are expensive, both are able heaters up to around 2000 sqft here in NE.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. illini81

illini81
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 7, 2017
    Loc:
    Southeastern CT
    Big fan of the Enviro Boston. Just finished the first year with ours. Heats 2500 sqft for most of our winter in CT. On a daily basis, I got 10.5 hr burns (7:00 pm to 5:30 AM), but I was also able to get some 12 hr (and a bit past that) burns the few times I needed to. Very pleased with the stove!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ChevWood15 likes this.
  4. illini81

illini81
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 7, 2017
    Loc:
    Southeastern CT
    One aspect of the Enviro that I really like is that it is designed to load North/South. I can fit a 20" log in N/S, although it does best with around 18" logs. I am not sure whether the Clydesdale is a N/S or E/W loader.

5. ChevWood15

ChevWood15
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2018
    Loc:
    N.Y.
    Thanks to everyone! Called the installer today and ordered the Enviro. I'll update when it is installed.

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Congratulations. Looking forward to the pics of the install.

7. saewoody

saewoody
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 15, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    Best of luck with the Enviro. I think you’ll be happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. stovelark

stovelark
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2009
    Loc:
    SE CT
    Congrats- the Boston is a beauty. Let us know how she works out for you.

9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Modestorator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Never heard a discouraging word from an Enviro stove owner. And the Boston is a beauty..

10. ChevWood15

ChevWood15
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2018
    Loc:
    N.Y.
    Decided to do the install myself, will be saving over $800. I took out our old insert. Is it pretty straight forward? Just hooking up the liner to the stove? Any tips or advice is appreciated.

illini81 likes this.
  11. saewoody

saewoody
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 15, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    Take a look at how your blower is installed so you know what you need to do when it is time to remove it and clean it. After cleaning mine after 4-5 years of burning, I would recommend cleaning it out every 1-2 years.

12. saewoody

saewoody
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 15, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    Also, check out the thread illini81 started for Enviro stoves.

13. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, a blower should be cleaned every year. If possible, lubricate it then too.

saewoody likes this.
  14. stovelark

stovelark
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2009
    Loc:
    SE CT
    The Boston is a vertical, quiet unit mounted on the left side as you face the stove. To get to it, take the top plate off (3/8 inch bolts, only tighten the front two, you'll see what I mean.) Take off the door, and that will give you access to the side panel and the blower. And yes, clean every year if you want maximum lifetime of it.

saewoody likes this.
  15. ChevWood15

ChevWood15
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2018
    Loc:
    N.Y.
    I was cleaning our old stove fan every year. Will definitely continue to.

stovelark and saewoody like this.
  16. ChevWood15

ChevWood15
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2018
    Loc:
    N.Y.
    Stove finally came in! Just waiting for a flex liner adapter to finish the install.

Attached Files:

illini81 and Jan Pijpelink like this.
  17. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Gorgeous!

ChevWood15 likes this.
  18. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Modestorator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Beautiful.

19. ChevWood15

ChevWood15
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2018
    Loc:
    N.Y.
    When I do the break in fire, what would be a good target temp? Should I measure temp on the flu collar or stove top?

20. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's a steel stove at heart. There's no real break-in required though you may want to do a small kindling fire at first just to dry out the bricks. After that, fire it up to 500F and open all windows, maybe with a fan exhausting fumes from the paint baking in.

21. illini81

illini81
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 7, 2017
    Loc:
    Southeastern CT
    Did you have your break-in fire yet??? Pics??

22. ChevWood15

ChevWood15
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2018
    Loc:
    N.Y.
    We did have a quick fire a couple weeks ago. Forgot to take some pictures. It didnt seem to get much flame action, not sure why. It was about 60 degrees outside.

23. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If the fire was weak, there are a few possible reasons assuming the install is proper. Weak draft, insufficient air or fuel or poorly seasoned wood.
    You new stove will require stronger draft than the old Fisher. Draft will be weaker when the indoor temp is close to the outside temp. If the flue is on the short side or has some 90º turns then that will also slow down draft.

24. ChevWood15

ChevWood15
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2018
    Loc:
    N.Y.
    Inside temp and outside temp was within a couple degrees. No 90 degree turns, flue is probably 25-30 feet.

25. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    With that setup and dry wood you should see a marked improvement when the temps drop 10 degrees.

Blazingembers7749 likes this.