Hearthstone Pheonix???? Too Small? Your opinions on this stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michiganwinters

Hearth Supporter
Aug 24, 2007
Ive been reading up on soapstone fireplacing trying to make an educated decision on which stove for our new house (like most of you). Anyway, the soapstones are very appealing to me with their radiant heat, long burn times, and from what Ive heard very even heat. So I have a local dealer who is willing to sell me a new Pheonix for around $1600. So I can get into a soapstone for under $2000.........seems like a steal. The drawback..........Ive been reading reviews and some have said that it doesnt heat their 2000sqft house very well and some other things. My house (as stated in another post) is 1500sqft.......with cathedral, so about 1900cubic feet (all on the main floor). Its very openfloor plan and has great insulation. So I would like some feedback from those running soapstones and moreso those running the hearthstones. Tell me what you like what you dont, and if you think it would be a good fit for me.

I'm sure you get some pretty cold winters there, but for a well insulated house around your size, with an open floorplan. I think it would be about the right size. It has a slightly smaller firebox than the Heritage, but is seems to be "rated" for heating at about the same as the Heritage (I'm not sure it that is because of the cast iron front on it rather than all soapstone). If the stove is centrally located (and with the proper chimney setup), I think it should meet your needs. By the way that sounds like a really good price for a new Phoenix. Just curious - what is the dealer, or you going to do for the installation for $400?

I do have the Heritage, and have been very happy with it. The only drawback or flaw (its not a big issue to me, but may be to some) is the design of the ashpan (useless).

That price is really good something you may want to check with the dealer is that it is not a factory second hearthstone does sell them. they can have minor blems. the stove should do a good job in a 1500 sft house.

We have the homestead in an 1100 sf. ranch with a cathedral ceiling in the room where the stove is located, the bedrooms and bath are off an L shaped hallway in the back of the house and it heats our place great. The bedroom farthest away is usually about 8-10 degrees cooler than the room with the stove, when its really cold we light a couple oil lamps in that room to keep the chill off. Also have a ceiling fan and run a small squirrel cage type fan to move air to the back of the house. We are very happy with the stove, it heats the house fine and with some tight packing for the overnight burn and the in-line damper closed down 2/3 it will do 8 hrs of decent heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.