Hearthstone Phoenix Venting Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny G82

Aug 27, 2013
CT
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a second hand Heathstone Phoenix and am planning out the install. I don't have a flue available so will be using a class A chimney for venting. The location where I'm planning to install the stove has an obstacle on the exterior of the house (brick chimney) that I'm going to need to offset to get around. My question is this: can I horizontally vent the stove through the exterior wall and use 2- 45 degree elbows to clear the obstacle before going through the wall and up the class A chimney? Will this inhibit proper draft?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome. The maximum angle elbow in class A pipe is 30 degrees. Can you post a picture or two of the proposed setup and obstacles? Would it be possible to go straight up through the house instead. This usually works well, costs less and looks better.

Thanks for your reply. I was actually thinking of locating the double wall 45 degree elbows on interior of the house before connecting to the class A chimney. So the stove pipe would run horizontally from the stove, make two 45 degree turns, and then connect to the class A chimney "through the wall" pipe.

I agree with your points about going straight up, but I have some roof obstacles to contend with and would have to extend the chimney vertically very high from the roof line to clear the second story of the house (which i think would look silly). Going through the wall would allow me to run the class A chimney up alongside the existing chimney, and it would be somewhat hidden from the front of the house. I don't have pictures since the wall hasn't been opened up yet, but can provide them in the future if that would help.

The horizontal run will be minimum distance that I can leave from the stove to the wall, so since I'm planning on using a non combustable wall covering and rear heat sheild on the stove, it should be somewhere around 9" on the interior, plus the distance of the through the wall transition piece to the class A chimney tee on the outside. Overall not more than 18-20".

It's not ideal, but may work. What is using the existing chimney? Would tapping into that be an option? How tall is the chimney?

The existing chimney only has one flue which is being used by the boiler in the basement. The chimney is around 18' tall.

One point of clarification I want to make in case I was not clear. The elbows would really just be a 45 degree turn and then a 45 degree return to straighten out the pipe, just to give me a few inches of offset so my stove can be centered on the wall of the room. Does that help clarify what I'm trying to do?

Assuming you are using double wall connector pipe, back to back elbows will give you about 4 1/2" of offset. I see no problems with that as long as the chimney is on the higher side.

Status
Not open for further replies.