Hearthstone Shelburne 8372 too big for my home??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ANolan

Mar 17, 2021
Down East Maine
I have been shopping around for a stove to go in the center of my home near the stairs that go up to the 2nd floor. The while house is about 1000sf and is decently insulated. The house is in Maine near Canada on the coast and gets some nasty cold weather. At night it gets quite cold upstairs. I have an oil burner in basement but want to mainly burn wood.
I want a large viewing window and originally had my heart set on the Heritage, but was talked out of it at a store because its too big for my home. The guy at the store suggested the Craftsbury but I don't like the small fire box. I want to burn logs at least 16in. The Shelburne is larger than the Craftsbury and is a little smaller than the Heritage. Also I am considering the Castleton.
Anyone have suggestions? This is my first wood stove. Would the Shelburne be too big for my home?

Either the Shelburne or the Heritage would work. The size of the firebox is just its maximum capacity. It doesn't have to be run with a full load of wood. But when it gets very cold out, that maximum capacity is nice to have. Of the two, the Heritage will provide more even heating with less temperature swing between loadings. The Castleton is also a good choice and almost the same size as the Shelburne.

Reactions: Tar12
Thanks for your response. My wife saw the specs for the bigger stoves (Heritage and Shelburne) and got scared that these stoves say they heat up to 2,000 sq ft when our house is only 1,000. Also the guy at the store said a stove too big would cause creosote.
I want the bigger stove with the the bigger fire box, but just wanted to be sure I wasn't being foolish.

I dont think you are being foolish at all...you live in a very hostile winter environment..I would not consider anything less than a stove that would heat 2,000 square feet knowing that most manufactures ...if not all over inflate their numbers..as begreen stated it is the stoves maximum capacity and you do not have to run it wide open completely filled...you run it with good dry seasoned wood and creosote is a non issue....the Heritage would be my choice..

I would say the castleton since it supposed to go up to 1500sqft. But since you live in a very cold climate get the heritage. But also hows your insulation? if you house is well sealed and insulated the castleton would be fine. if not the heritage would work best.