Hearthstone Shelburne character change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

misterjefferson

Dec 3, 2021
Pelham, MA
I recently replaced the door and glass gaskets in my Hearthstone Shelburne, which has been very consistent over the last 8 years. Suddenly it overheats quickly with the register open from full to 3/4 closed or dies with the register 3/4 to fully closed. The glass blackens overnight, very frustrating. If I didn’t know, I would have guessed unseasoned wood, but I am burning oak and cherry seasoned 2 years. Any ideas or suggestions? I’d appreciate them…

Were the gaskets OEM or aftrmarket?

Look it over carefully for airleaks in the ash system. If nothing found, empty it of ash and check for cracks, missing seam caulking. Sometimes shining a brite flashlight on the seams in a dark room with an assistant can show issues.
Also check the air control for proper functioning.