Hearthstone Stove guts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highwayman64

Feb 26, 2020
Strykersville, NY
We acquired a 1979 model Hearthstone stove set#2066 after looking high and low for the oval to round pipe we finally found one but paid through the nose. Looking into the inside we see that there is nothing like a log rack, grate etc. to hold the wood up. Looking in all you see is a floor on the bottom with ribs in it. A dealer told me all you need to to is cover the bottom with sand??? Any pics or help would be so much appreciated, thanks!

Don’t use a grate in a Woodstove. Build the fire right on the floor, otherwise you can over fire the stove and will really reduce the burn times.
Does this stove have an ashpan?

Really? No it has no ash pan with it. Is there any truth to the fact of putting sand in the bottom?
Yes a woodstove should have the fire directly on the floor and yes it should probably have sand on the floor.

You probably could have simply squished the rightsize pipe into the correct oval for the price of a peice of stovepipe. That works almost every time.

Yes a woodstove should have the fire directly on the floor and yes it should probably have sand on the floor.

You probably could have simply squished the rightsize pipe into the correct oval for the price of a peice of stovepipe. That works almost every time.
Awesome thank you! with the 10 and 1/2-in wide opening we were having problems finding anything that would fit it. The stove is in beautiful shape so I didn't mind spending a few bucks but did not make sense of the sand on the floor to me.

I see no reason for the sand, considering half of the floor is an ash grate. The newer stoves aren’t built any differently and sand isn’t necessary.

So the bottom has ribs? I took that to mean a grated floor like Ashpan stoves have. If the floor is covered in grooves, then ya, sand is a common thing. I don’t see how it makes much difference though, considering it gets packed down with ashes in no time.

some stoves the manual tells you to use sand. then keeping covered with ash will keep it from cracking the bottom

The VC stoves have ribs on the bottom also. If you don't want to use sand, you can pack some ashes on the bottom.