Hearthstone stove identification!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Koh129

Apr 4, 2022
New Hampshire
I have a hearthstone stove I can’t seem to find the model of.

Stove has a glass front door, and a left side load door as well. 6 inch flue comes out the back of the stove, and the ash pan slides out from the left side (under the loading door)

I’m having trouble with the stove smoking from the top front right corner, and ultimately would like to find out what it will take to repair, yet I can’t find similar stove online to research problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
A6456980-55AC-47B1-91A4-3C366A4A2DAA.jpeg
5D89ED89-6136-42B1-961F-1D96501A3038.jpeg

Looks like it may be a Hearthstone II. Is there a UL label on the back? Note that the hearth is woefully inadequate in front of the stove. That floor should be protected.

When was the flue last cleaned including the chimney cap screen if there is one?

does look like my h2 but the front door on mine has a split window and not a one piece one like what is shown. mine is a 1986 model. the guy that would know is @Kevlar_vw .

Entirely likely that the top stones need to be removed and then recemenred imto place. Hearthstone makes a proprietary cement which works best!

I think a later model II had a single door. That's what is showing in my parts diagram for it.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 9.24.19 AM.png

Here's a link to Kevin's rebuild of the Hearthstone II.

much nicer door than mine. mine has one piece of glass but the door is split view but still one piece door

This may actually be an American Heritage, a fixed-air EPA exempt stove they made for a short time late 80's maybe? Still prolly needs its top stones cemented, but from the look of the front, I'd wonder if there isn't a draft issue. Looks like it smokes from the fixed air inlets above the door pretty regularly if indeed it IS an A.H.

Flue has been recently cleaned and checked, it's free of obstructions. I think @defiant3 could be spot on with the top stones in need of recemented into place, yet it is not obvious as to how these are removed and repaired. I can see what looks like gaps where cement once was. Any insight on the process to re-cement would be appreciated.

Try a 12" piece of 1×3 up from the firebox through the top frame to the bottom surface of a stone and give a few love taps w your favorite hammer. Should see it move. Loosen by tapping, then just push up! Voila! Chip off all cement, wipe mating surfaces w wet rag, and apply generous amount of Hearthstone cement to the frame, seat stones in place, put something heavy on 'em for 24 hours.

Reactions: JerichaMFP
did mine the same way defiant3 describes. you'll see when the stones are off where to cement. it doesn't have to look like a grouted floor when done, as long as there is cement all along the area that you will see

This may actually be an American Heritage, a fixed-air EPA exempt stove they made for a short time late 80's maybe? Still prolly needs its top stones cemented, but from the look of the front, I'd wonder if there isn't a draft issue. Looks like it smokes from the fixed air inlets above the door pretty regularly if indeed it IS an A.H.
This is a new problem, chimney liner and stove have been installed and running for 5 years with no issue up until this season. Smoke only comes out of top right hand corner, when damper is closed more then half way after burn dies down. What do you mean by “A.H”

was the american heritage a knock off of hearthstone or the other way around? my H2 looks identical except for the front door

Could be a Harvest! Lookinh closer I see the handle on the left side above and l. of load door. That would be for catalyst which says "Harvest" to me!! Forgot about that one.

hi defiant3 who was the copycat do you know? that stove looks identical to my h2 and the plate on the back of mine says h2.

just looked it up. the same company but a little later in year