Hearthstone Stowe DX Start up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bob512

Jan 22, 2007
York PA
Long time since I've been on here friends ! Gf bought a cabin in Gaelton, PA. It has a like new Hearthstone Stowe DX Gas vented stove in it that was never hooked up there. It looks like it was run at one time. It says, 2013 but it looks newer. There is NG there and it looks like it was never switched to propane. I ran all brand new gas lines to it. I tried to start it sat. and the pilot would light but that is it. The pilot eventually would go out, That was using the remote ! I tried it in the manual On mode and the fan would run and pilot lit but it would not light the logs either ! I bled the lines again and tried it all again and the same things happened ! It had no excess gas or unsafe conditions ! Does anyone on here know what I should check next ? ? The screen on the gas connection is spotless, looks like it was never hooked up ! I installed all brand new DuraVent pipe horiz. thru a wall thimble to high wind cap. Thanks for any help ! ! Nickname, Quick

Does the valve make an audible "click" when you turn the unit on?
Can you post a pic of the pilot assembly?
It makes a click , yes ! Stove is 4 hours from me ! I can send pic out of the manual if that helps ? thanks, Quick

It makes a click , yes ! Stove is 4 hours from me ! I can send pic out of the manual if that helps ? thanks, Quick
Any other answers on this ? ?

Sorry. I didn't respond as quickly as I should have. I was out of town.
I'm thinking you need to pull the burner out, remove the brass burner orifice,
& swab the inside of the burner tube behind the orifice.
Spiders will build nests in that tube & that is a common occurrence with gas units.

Sorry. I didn't respond as quickly as I should have. I was out of town.
I'm thinking you need to pull the burner out, remove the brass burner orifice,
& swab the inside of the burner tube behind the orifice.
Spiders will build nests in that tube & that is a common occurrence with gas units.
Thanks ! will try !

Nothing ! Think I need someone to check gas pressure ? ?

One section of pipe is 3/8 and the rest is 1/2 ! I think that might be part of it ! ? ?

Pilot light went out? does it use a thermocouple? if so job 1 would be to replace that, cheap and easy.

Thanks guys, still no luck getting it started ! Pulled the pilot tube out to blow it out. i can get air thru it ! Now the ferrell is stuck in the valve ! ! Ugh ! Coming back up the end of next week and might have to get a service guy here !

I got it going somewhat guys ! ! I ordered a new Pilot Burner assembly from Gas Control Parts USA ! They had the exact part for my stove ! I had it working last night. It takes about 20 attempts to get the main burner to stay lit ! It finally stayed lit and I adjusted the flame with the Air Shutter. The cabin was nice and toasty. I shut it off over night just to be safe ! It needs some adjustments but it is so much closer to working ! Anyone know what else I should try ? ? There is a pretty good HVAC guy in town that I want to get here to see what he thinks ? He will be able to check the gas pressure and adjust that if needed ? thanks !

I got it going somewhat guys ! ! I ordered a new Pilot Burner assembly from Gas Control Parts USA ! They had the exact part for my stove ! I had it working last night. It takes about 20 attempts to get the main burner to stay lit ! It finally stayed lit and I adjusted the flame with the Air Shutter. The cabin was nice and toasty. I shut it off over night just to be safe ! It needs some adjustments but it is so much closer to working ! Anyone know what else I should try ? ? There is a pretty good HVAC guy in town that I want to get here to see what he thinks ? He will be able to check the gas pressure and adjust that if needed ? thanks !
Can't get the fan speeds to run either ! I shut it off every now and then because it seems really hot ! !

Got it woking great guys ! We are snowed in with 12 inches of snow, So I had plenty of time to work on it ! Lights right up now and got the fan and the speeds figured out also ! Thanks to bigealta and DAKSY for the help ! Cabin is nice and toasty ! Hearthstone didn't give me one ounce of help ! ! Oh well !

Reactions: Lennox65