Q&A Heat a small house w/gas fireplace insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi! We have a small, one-story house (800 sq ft) with an old masonry fireplace. We want to get a gas insert, and are hoping it can heat the whole house so we can get rid of an Ugly wall heater which does the job from a central hallway. The fireplace is on an outside side wall of the living room, though. I used your Btu calculator (thanks!), and am confident that we can get an insert that has enough Btus. What I wonder is, whether the heat can "go around corners" enough to heat the back of the house without cooking the front. I'm attaching a rough (embarrassing, actually) floor plan so you can see what I mean about the wall heater being central and the fireplace not. I hope this makes sense! What do you think--can we keep the back rooms warm without overheating the front? Many thanks!

Answer:

Generally speaking, the heat will go around corners. Most gas inserts use convection and/or blowers which tend to spread the heat around very well. In addition, the fact that you intend to use it for quite a few hour a day will help things greatly as heat tends to spread better after units are running awhile.

Every house is different and the air currents move differently...however, if a wall heater is doing a decent job the insert will surely make you happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.